Go to footer

Urgent Warning .

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Urgent Warning .

Postby irlmin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:42 pm

I have spoken previously at length about the problem of R56 timing chains and the need to keep an eye out for the dreaded 'rattle' , We have what I can only describe as an 'epidemic' of MINIs with failed chains in the workshop in the last week or so , they all have a common cause POOR and INFREQUENT oil changes , MINI 's recommended service interval is woefully over optimistic and by the time the car tells you it needs a service the damage may already be done , We have 'new' customer MINIs coming into the workshop every week many with little or NO oil in the engine !!!!!!! also please beware of the so called 'cheap' servicing options being advertised like service for € 69 :1icon_evil: It cannot be done !!!!!! or it can if you use lubricants suitable only for OX carts . the MINI needs a decent quality 05/30 low sapps oil and an OE or OE quality filter and I would recommend oil changes at 10000 km intervals , also it would help if Owners checked their oil level occasionally , recently a MINI arrived having suffered a broken chain and top chain guide was sent straight through the rocker cover !! , Monday another R56 S arrived in with the chain broken and lots of 'collateral' damage like bent valves . now there must have been a warning in both these examples with 'clattering' evident to even the most untrained ear . so My advise is check your oil level regularly and just because MINI gives you 3 years 'free' servicing with TLC it does not mean the need to check the basics like oil and coolant level is MINIs responsibility it is YOURS so get into the routine of regular checks and get that oil changed regularly , also of course if you hear an unusual noise get it checked , it may be nothing BUT it may save you several thousand € s end of rant
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Urgent Warning .

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:34 am

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Ger has said.
Nightmare stories abound at the moment and most of them could have been easily avoided.
I heard of an owner of a lovely Laser Blue MINI in Dublin saying that she saw a warning light recently and said she better get it checked. When the oil was dipped, it needed THREE litres of oil to be added........ :1icon_eek: :1icon_cry:
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby The cake » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 am

After seeing some of the carnage at Ger's workshop i have to agree, one of the cooper s engines was black from the crap it had been running and with these engines being built for high revs and speed they really should only get the best. If people got into the habit of giving a quick check to the engine bay every time they wash the car it would be a great help and keep them on the roads as long as the original Mini....
The cake
Getting used to the place

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Wise words indeed ^^^ ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby An Marcach » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 pm

What make of filter would you class as "OE quality"?
An Marcach
Getting used to the place

Postby irlmin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 pm

MINI OE are usually produced by Mahle Knecht or Mann filters , we used one several years ago that was not a recognisable brand and oil light flickered on idle on an R50 Cooper , changed back to Our usual Mahle - Knecht and problem gone , now we only use MINI or Mahle -Knecht oil filters .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby AdyP » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Bear in mind that even if you don't do a lot of mileage, which is the case for me, the car will still use oil. It will depend on the driving style you have and the performance of the engine, but as the guys said you have to keep an eye on the levels, especially before you go on a long run or are planning on driving the car hard.

I find my car goes through about 5mm-10mm on the stick every couple of months, but I was told by the MINI garage to stay on top of fill-ups as this is normal.

Our 1.2 Golf uses hardly anything at all, but in fairness it is not what you might call a fireball :)
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion