Go to footer

Mini Cooper S in Dublin(advice needed)

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Mini Cooper S in Dublin(advice needed)

Postby MikeP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:52 am

[b]Hi I'm looking for my first Mini and this ad caught my attention:

http://www.cameroncars.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1097878

Has anyone from forum seen this car or dealt with this dealer?I have 3+ hours drive to dublin and I dont want to waste half of a day if this car isn't worth looking at.Or if you know about any other late r53 or early r56 cooper s worth checking out I would appreciate any info(don't need to be in dublin).

Sorry for any grammar errors I'm not native english speaker.

Mike
MikeP
Just Joined!

Re: Mini Cooper S in Dublin(advice needed)

Postby irlmin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Mike ,
Looks like a very well specced MINI, its 2006 so must be one of the 1st R56 models as the 1st cars were launched in November 2006 . I can't advise on condition of this particular MINI but from spec and photos it looks like a car that would be worth having . usual checks need to be done of course and a major 'propper' service done if you decide to buy it . If you are using the car everyday an R56S is much more practical than the R53 S and of course up to 30 % more economical , however carbon build-up and timing chain woes are the down side but these can be sorted . as regards the Dealer I am afraid I can't comment as I have never dealt with the company but seem to be long established . price is OK as well for such a well specced MINI and of course there may be some flexibility on that if you are buying 'straight' with no trade-in .if you need any specific information when viewing the car just give me a call and I will try to help from a distance .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby MikeP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks G for an answer
Any advice on how to recognize chain and carbon build up issue?Will it be rattling?But does it happen only on cold engine?Is a car dealer obligated to give warranty by law or not?
Sorry for so many questions,and bullying you with phone calls this week(we did talk about pre-purchase inspection of mini cooper s from waterford,yeah it's m again ;) )

Mike
MikeP
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Mike ,
No problem I will talk 'MINI all day long !!!!!!. the chain will be rattling when cold and indeed if its in bad condition it will be rattling all the time . carbon is usually poor running and poor oil consumption , as regards the warranty the dealer will have to cover any defects for an agreed period however from experience I think if you can buy the car 'as-is' with no warranty at a decent price you may be better off as you can rectify any potential problems properly .( keep your options open ) the R56 S is one of these cars that most Garages just can't get to grips with if there are problems , we get in several every Month on recovery trucks from other Garages that just don't have the equipment or car specific expertise to continue with work . the basic problem stems from poor servicing in the early years and a poor emission control system which allows carbon to build up causing havoc . a good R56 is a joy to drive and own and with a proper maintenance schedule and using OE or OE spec components can be very reliable and efficient . if you are looking at the car and need any specific advice just pick up the phone and call me and I can guide you through what to look for .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby MikeP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks again.
I'm sure you gonna hear from me again ;)
MikeP
Just Joined!

Postby An Marcach » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:48 pm

I've no personal experience of that dealer but I have heard good reports about Bob Cameron from various TVR and Lotus owners
An Marcach
Getting used to the place

Postby MiniMpi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Mike,
That's a 'Launch spec' R56 Cooper S.
It has everything really and the whole colour combo is one of my favourites.
Best of luck.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby MikeP » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks all for help.
MikeP
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion