Go to footer

OIL OIL OIL or lack of it

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

OIL OIL OIL or lack of it

Postby irlmin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:12 pm

I have a rant now and then about maintenance issues and poor servicing of MINIs . I am again urging everyone to be pedantic about your oil service services , in the recent past we have had 5 new customer MINIs in with terminal crankshaft failure due to lack of oil , in most cases this could have been avoided if the oil had been changed and a decent and correct spec oil used , ( I recently saw a MINI engine being filled with 10/40 oil at a workshop where they advertised servicing at € 69 ) anyway I am asking everyone to make a point of checking your oil level regularly and have it changed at 10000 KM intervals using 05/30 Full Synthetic low sapps oil from a reputable brand . even though its work for us when people neglect their MINIs It is soul destroying to know that it can be avoided so easily .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: OIL OIL OIL or lack of it

Postby Vexorg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Ger

Just in relation to the oil grade (if thats the correct term). I checked with mini when I needed a top up previously with my last clubman and they recommended Castrol Edge 0/30. Is the much difference between 0/30 and 5/30?
Vexorg
Getting used to the place

Postby Masterbiker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:04 pm

You will only need 0/30 if you live in an area where the temperature is regularly well below freezing. 5/30 is the one you want for Ireland.
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Vexorg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks, will change to 5/30 for my next top up.
Vexorg
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion