Go to footer

HELP - DPF filter Mini D

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

HELP - DPF filter Mini D

Postby Marciaha79 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:09 am

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I'm really desperate to find some help in relation to this.
I got used mini D 90k miles on it last week (2010). Fully serviced until 86 k (so does the book says).
Problems - DPF light comes on sometimes for few minutes, diesel consumption is atrocious, black smoke coming out of exhaust, zero pick up and almost stops when going up the hill....
I think it is DPF filter. Have booked the car for diagnostics next week but I think they may recommend changing the filter and I don't know if it is going to make sense to do it in BMW service as it is going to be expensive. Anybody knows how much? and what would be the alternative? (cleaning the filter, etc etc). please help... :1icon_cry:
Marciaha79
Just Joined!

Re: HELP - DPF filter Mini D

Postby Masterbiker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:51 pm

Sounds like you need to give the engine a thrashing to try to clear the DPF. So drive around for 10 minutes gently to warn the engine up, then go on the motorway and be in a gear or two lower than normal for a while and it may help.

But if it's too blocked it will have to be removed and cleaned or replaced.

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/f ... lters.html
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Marciaha79 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi, thanks for this i have done this rwice already and no luck. It must be definitely blocked i will definitely try cleaning it first before attempting to get a new one. Anybody with similar issues? Thanks
Marciaha79
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:58 pm

We usually have them 'ultrasonically ' cleaned , its a case of removing the DPF and having the process done then refit and clear any fault codes . beware of people offering DPF removal by a software 'cheat' !! there is a reason the DPF is there in the 1st place , as Michael said the MINI should regenerate the filter with a 'spirited' drive , have you looked at other causes as well , is the Turbo OK ? are the Injectors working as they should ? when did it last get a fuel filter ? are you sure of the quality of your diesel supply ? lots of variables I know but I would start with the basics and get a diagnostic check done combined with some basic checks ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Marciaha79 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi many thanks for your reply. Im booked for diagnostics on tuesday and will go from there. But i doubt will be doing anything in bmw garagage as the cost will be probably massive. Fuel quality is grand have been fuelling my last 3 diesels cars there and no issues. Worrying about turbo etc but will know next week. Fingers crossed otherwise i ll need a lift to work lol
Marciaha79
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help