Go to footer

R53, a few small problems I'm having

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

R53, a few small problems I'm having

Postby jordanfaf » Sun May 17, 2015 12:05 am

Cars just back from a service a few days ago, went for a long drive today and put the car through its paces.

1) I have a slight shuddery idle which I have put down to a rusty pin 3 on my ignition coil ( is this correct?)

2)I seem to be getting a misfire under harsh acceleration around 2500 revs in second (coil aswell??)

3) Pulled into my driveway after a flat out run down the road and got a foul smell from the exhaust. Don't think it was cat, but not too sure.

As I said cars back from a service. Had its plugs and oils changed aswell as diagnostics to check for any problems and nothing came up as problematic. Just wondering if these few things are normal or down to the bad pin 3 coil. Thanks a lot
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: R53, a few small problems I'm having

Postby irlmin » Sun May 17, 2015 1:04 pm

It is impossible to say from this distance , have you cleaned up the no 3 lead and contact ? if not try a bit of sandpaper on both and check if it helps . the smell you got may or may not be cat related , was it like rotten eggs ? or do you have an oil leak onto the exhaust manifold or indeed residual oil from the filter change burning off the exhaust --- its common . without a decent diagnostic session I can't be any more specific .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Sun May 24, 2015 3:54 pm

irlmin wrote:It is impossible to say from this distance , have you cleaned up the no 3 lead and contact ? if not try a bit of sandpaper on both and check if it helps . the smell you got may or may not be cat related , was it like rotten eggs ? or do you have an oil leak onto the exhaust manifold or indeed residual oil from the filter change burning off the exhaust --- its common . without a decent diagnostic session I can't be any more specific .
G

Cleaned the pin 3 wit some wire wool. Idle is a lot better. But I'm getting a problem with misfiring under heavy acceleration. Have it booked in on Monday to check for any fault codes. Any idea what's causing the misfire. It's generally in high gears above 3k revs I get random misfires.
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby jordanfaf » Mon May 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Update:
Idle has returned to being very rough. This problem is really beginning to annoy me now. I've seen others with similar problems ( rough idle and misfiring) and theyr saying to check for vacuum leaks on my intake.

Also seen it may be a clogged cat, which may explain the smell aswell? But I thought that would have been noticed in a service on emissions. Beginning to worry I'm gonna spend a fortune trying to find the problem and never fix it
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby irlmin » Mon May 25, 2015 6:39 pm

The R53 is a very simple design and I am surprised you have not found the problem taking into account the things you have checked , has a diagnostic check revealed anything ? does your EML light come on ? has anyone done a 'live' data check ? there should really be no reason you should have to spend a fortune to solve what may be a small issue .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jordanfaf » Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 pm

irlmin wrote:The R53 is a very simple design and I am surprised you have not found the problem taking into account the things you have checked , has a diagnostic check revealed anything ? does your EML light come on ? has anyone done a 'live' data check ? there should really be no reason you should have to spend a fortune to solve what may be a small issue .
G

No warning lights, Its booked in tomoro at the garage to check for fault codes. It was in for a service 2 weeks ago and had no fault codes on it.
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Postby jordanfaf » Tue May 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Back from the Garage now. Misfire in cylinder 3, likely being caused by a rusty pin 3 on the coil as suspected. when I'm replacing it do you reccoment an OEM or something like an msd pack ?
2006 R53 Cooper S
jordanfaf

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help