Go to footer

Restoration Help Needed

Rebuilding a Mini? Building a rally car? Making a Z Car from the Ground Up? Well, create a thread here, and keep us updated. It's a great way to track your own progress as you go along, and keep yourself sane! If you own a car, you can show it off here too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Restoration Help Needed

Postby Niallo2826 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 am

ive started work on the 1968 Elf and the mechanics are nearly completed. engine is now like new. head completely reconditioned, valves all reset, new waterpump, starter, completely retuned, new electrics etc etc.

upholstery is gone off to be redone today too.

the bodywork is now the problem though. the car has never been properly restored so there has been some patching done over the years.

what urgently needs to be done is-

front floors replaced (see photos below) - I have the new panels
front drivers side inner wing to be repaired (previous crash repair done badly) and outer wing to be replaced as previously repaired badly - I have a new wing
rear valance to be replaced and battery box to be replaced - I have new panels for both
general tidy up. I don't want to completely strip it back and respray as trying to keep it as original as possible for now.

in the long term id like to respray completely but funds don't allow it for now so just want to tidy it up and get it back on the road for the summer.

I have had one quote that was on the high side so can anyone recommend someone or want to take this on?

pictures below -

Niallo2826
Just Joined!

Re: Restoration Help Needed

Postby Niallo2826 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 am

restoration of the elf is going well. :)

body-
new front floors/inner sills in place - see before and after below

engine-
head refurbished with unleaded mods
new electrics
new exhaust
new water pump, starter motor, regulator, fuse box
refurbished carb
valves all reset
new leads
new cam followers

inside -
seats and door cards all refurbished
new carpets

big delimma now though -

the rear floors are perfect however on the drivers side there is a bit too much give on the panel when you stand on it. I think the inner sills were half repaired once but not done right.

do I - 1. replace the rear floors entirely or 2. replace the inner sills?

any suggestions?

Niallo2826
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Niall ,
If you are looking at this car as a long term project I would replace the whole R/H floor including a M-Machine half floor and inner / outer sill unit , that way you know everything is correct . the sills and floorpans are structural on minis and need to be strong .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Niallo2826 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks Ger. Work in progress but back on the road after 20 years and mechanically perfect. Didn't use the Mota Lita steering wheel in the end so let me know if anyone is interested in it as its a great piece for any classic mini or elf.
Niallo2826
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Projects and Members Cars