Go to footer

Clutch Help

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Clutch Help

Postby alanbeck » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, I'm in need of some expert knowledge!

My gf's mini is in a bit of trouble. It is a 2003 1.6 cooper, 110,000 miles.
While driving last week, she was stopped at a stop sign. When she went to take off again she couldn't get the car into gear. No way, no how!! She couldn't select any gear.
We arranged the insurance breakdown to collect it and brought it to a local mechanic. He is guessing that the clutch is gone but won't know for sure until he gets in to have a look.
The problem being he is quoting "best case scenario" of approx €1000 if its only the clutch. I'm hesitant to pay that money for a 13 year old car that's only worth a small bit more then that.

I'm looking for help. Does my issue sound like a clutch problem? Could it be gearbox related or something even worse? Is this a common thing with the mini's or is there anything else that could be causing a problem like this?

Hoping somebody here can shed some light and hopefully guide me in the right direction.
alanbeck
Just Joined!

Re: Clutch Help

Postby irlmin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the site .
Can you select gears with the engine off ? does the 'pedal' feel normal ? was there any 'rattling' noise prior to failure ? if 'pedal' feels poor check fluid level , I would suspect from your description it is internal . if you are fitting a new clutch kit beware of cheap kits and insist on Sachs , LUK etc and do NOT even consider re-lined discs . price wise we usually charge € 800 for R53 clutch replacement using Sachs components so I guess your Mechanic is not too far off the mark at € 1000 as we do lots of them .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby alanbeck » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Irlmin,
Thanks for your quick reply. Nope, the car won't go into gear at all, engine on or off. She doesn't remember any particular noise immediately before failure, and there certainly was nothing the last time I drove it. Again, she said that the pedal operation was as normal and it feels the same. Unfortunetly I cannot check myself as the car has been in a garage since it happened so I haven't got near it.
Luks clutch kits can be got on Mick's Garage for about €160 so that's not too bad. My worry is he starts ripping into the job and then discovers we need a gearbox not just a clutch.
I'm tempted to sell it off as is and see what we can get for it!
alanbeck
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:10 am

I just noticed its an R50 cooper NOT an R53 S , I dont know what made me think it was an S , that's better news as the up to 04 R50 clutch we supply and fit for € 600 . It is difficult to diagnose from a distance but your mechanic should be able to narrow it down easily ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help