Go to footer

Next Clubman to have 2 club doors

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Next Clubman to have 2 club doors

Postby Owen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 pm

The biggest - and silliest - criticism of the existing Clubman is that the Club Door is on the wrong side for the Irish/UK/Asian/Australian markets. The next model Clubman chassis will be shared with a BMW which is codenamed the BMW 'Joy' and will have 2 Club Doors - similar to the setup in the very trick Mazda RX-8.

Thoughts?

I think the Clubman will always be one of the best shaped new MINIs, and I'd love an S Clubman at some point. Throw in all the new tech like MINI Connected, etc, and you'd have a serious motor on your hands.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby Bawnee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Yes the door is ridiculous at times, sounds like a plan & as for an S the extra oomph would be welcome, I've mine almost a year & still think it's it's pick up is sluggish at times... :( Any photos ?
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Next Clubman to have 2 club doors

Postby Step_7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 am

I wouldn't call mine "sluggish" - not as quick as the R53 but then that's to be expected. Do you have the Sport button on yours?
Step_7

Postby Bawnee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:37 am

Maybe sluggish is too strong, nope no sports button!
Bawnee

Postby Owen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Ger's is anything but sluggish. Without trying to sound like an ass, are you driving it correctly to allow the engine to develop all its power? If you're in too high a gear, or are at too low an rpm, the engine will perform as well as a 1997 Starlet. You need to have the needle close to the redline and use the lowest gear possible for the car to really perform.

Also, a difference people don't realise between BMW/MINI accelerator pedals and everything else, the MINI doesn't respond to where the pedal is, it responds to the force used. If you feed the accelerator in gently right to the end of the pedal travel, even though you're at full throttle the car will accelerate gently. You need to stamp it into the floor for it to respond.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby Bawnee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Mm road test coming up!! Cheers!
Bawnee

Postby Step_7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Owen wrote: You need to stamp it into the floor for it to respond.

I would never do that...... ;)

The Sport button makes things appear a bit more responsive but if you're really ragging it (again something I would never do... :blob8: ) it pulls really well regardless.
Step_7

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion