Go to footer

what to look out for mini

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

what to look out for mini

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

hi i want to buy a mini but i want to know the in and out before i go looking . i am looking for 1000cc mini any date before 82 what are they like on mpg cos i have subaru impreza turbo and want some thing that wouldnt be that much to run along with subaru thought mini be fun car
tintin
Getting used to the place

Re: what to look out for mini

Postby irlmin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi ,
The 1.0 minis were produced up to mid 1992 , as with all minis your main problem is getting one with little rust , mechanically they are pretty robust but you need to watch out for gearbox syncro problems when changing down from 3rd to 2nd , you will notice a 'crunching' noise if there is a problem . also watch out for poor restorations and poor modifications , early 80s minis will have drum brakes which are NOT as good as the discs fitted from 84 on . if you find something you like I am happy to have a look at some pics etc and talk you through what you need to look out for . don't rush into anything and the right car will come along .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion