Go to footer

Brake fluid change

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Brake fluid change

Postby irlmin » Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm

We are starting to see an increase in faulty ABS units on MINIs coming into the workshop recently and I felt it would be best to bring this problem to the attention of MINI owners , the problem is caused by failure to change the brake fluid at recommended intervals or sooner , brake fluid builds up moisture due to heating / cooling during operation , moisture in turn corrodes the internal 'valves' of the ABS unit and this leads to an expensive failure , also its amazing the difference in braking when you have new fluid in your system , the operation is a pretty simple one that anyone familiar with 'bleeding' brakes should be able to carry out OR have a professional workshop carry the process out for you , We use an automatic 'bleeding ' machine and the results are excellent . also I would recommend changing more regularly than MINI recommendations if you drive your MINI enthusiastically !! ;)
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Brake fluid change

Postby AdyP » Fri May 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Good advice Ger. Was thinking of doing this myself this weekend as well. Sometimes the brake response is a little spongey so I think mine is due a change.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Ace of Spades » Sat May 10, 2014 11:49 am

Definitely worth it. I get mine replaced every 2 years. I can feel a difference in the braking, but could be a subconscious thing because I know I have new fluid :-)
Ace of Spades
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby irlmin » Sat May 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Its not a subconscious thing John , I changed the fluid on the Countryman yesterday and the pedal 'feel' is totally different , its much more 'solid' now and braking performance feels better as well .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion