Go to footer

Seized Brakes

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Seized Brakes

Postby THEBOOKKEEPER » Sat May 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Guys

I was wondering if I could pick your brains for advice :) So I am looking at a 1994 Spi mini. It has been in a garage for past few years. The body is very good and I reckon with a little bit of work it can be back on the road soon. Only problem is...the brakes appear to be seized. Is this a big problem and if I have to replace the brake system...is it a big/costly job? I forgot to check if the handbrake was left on :( If it is left on...the brakes all round are probably seized over time. Any ideas? If I buy the car, I will be putting it on a trailer...not planning on driving it until i give it a very thorough inspection and service.

I had to sell my beloved mpi last year due to work and finances...still heart broken :( I still have my 07 Cooper S... but i really miss the fun of the classic style. I feel that this particular car is in good condition and needs to come out of that garage and get back on the road. I have grown used to the mpi mini..........so its a new venture looking at an spi. There can't be that much difference :)

Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Conor
THEBOOKKEEPER
Getting used to the place

Re: Seized Brakes

Postby AdyP » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 pm

If the brakes are seized then it may not be a major issue. Swapping front calipers or rebuilding rear drums are not a scary or expensive situation.

Corrosion of the caliper pistons can happen if they are not used, and either a rebuild or replacement of the caliper will have you running again in no time.

If it is the rears then loosening off the handbrake cable and then tapping the drum off and cleaning the inside with fine sandpaper and brake cleaner will clean up the surfaces ready for some fresh brake shoes. Again not a scary job with a Haynes manual and taking your time. If given to an garage to do it will not be a big fix.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Seized Brakes

Postby THEBOOKKEEPER » Sat May 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Thank you. The handbrake has been left on. Will have closer inspection soon :)
THEBOOKKEEPER
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion