Go to footer

Mini log book

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Mini log book

Postby jamie de barra » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi I recently got a 1993 mini sprite completely redone(took me3.5years but still have a gorgeous car)
Unfortunately due to my ignorance I bought the car with no logbook!
I need some info on what to do as I've been getting very mixed and misleading information on how to get a logbook...
One was to purchase a pre 1980 one (as I've replaced the scuttle panel and it has no chassis number on it) plus I've pretty much replaced everything on the car from windows to the wings and bonnet!
Is it a complete no hope?
Thank you for your time

Kind regards

JdB
jamie de barra
Just Joined!

Re: Mini log book

Postby irlmin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:53 pm

I would go through the motions and get the original book in duplicate form , that way everything is legal , the vehicle ID is based on the chassis or VIN number and in the case of the mini its whats on the original 'monocoque' or shell . I would stamp your scuttle panel with the correct number and get the duplicate vlc or log book and you can get on and enjoy the results of your work and drive your mini like its meant to be driven ----- with a big smile on your face .as regards getting the duplicate vlc there are a few things you may have to do based on what the current situation is , Do you know the details of the previous registered owner ? do you have the reg and VIN number ? if you have the previous registered owners details then they can do a 'change of ownership' to you and include a lost document form for the VLC , if not and you have the VIN and reg number then you can apply for a duplicate VLC but you will have to have the declaration witnessed by a 'Notary public' normally a Solicitor . I would certainly recommend this course of action .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jamie de barra » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank younloads for your reply.
After I bought the car I found out that the person I got it from never registered it in his name! So at the moment I am the third owner and the car is still registered in the original first owners name!!! The only visible chassis number is on the rear windows as the front windscreen was smashed to pieces. I do have the original vocal plate though.I've been told the RF134 is the one i need to get the car in my name?
jamie de barra
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:53 pm

If you have the VIN and reg number it should be no problem to sort it and at least you will have everything in order and let you enjoy your mini .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby jamie de barra » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Cool cheers
jamie de barra
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion