Go to footer

Steering Pump Noise

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Steering Pump Noise

Postby chopper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi

I had the steering pump replaced on my R53 2005 Cooper S. I know that these fail quite often so not very surprised by that.

The replacement, however, is making quite a bit of 'whining' noise expecially when active turning. There are many google references to this happening ... but I'm wondering is this always the case (just a feature of the part I'm going to have to live with), is it a faulty or lower quality pump, or is it something which can be fixed on the current part.

The mechanic has already replaced the oil in the pump with a different grade, and this has helped very slightly, but not very much.

Appreciate any help!

Dave
chopper
Just Joined!

Re: Steering Pump Noise

Postby irlmin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:22 pm

DO NOT USE ANYTHING EXCEPT CHF11 fluid in the pump !!!!!!! We get in lots of MINIs where pumps have been wrecked by using the incorrect fluid .( had one recently with engine oil in it ) all MINI R50/53 models have a slight 'whine' from the steering pumps , its a design thing BUT if its excessive especially on full steering 'lock' it may be faulty , was the pump new or reconditioned ? I ask because We only use new units having had tried 3 recon units from a large UK based supplier where 2 had to be returned , My point is there is lots of rubbish out there . My advice is get the system flushed of the heavier grade oil and fill with CHF 11 and hope there is no permanent damage , traces of any other fluid may also invalidate any warranty you may have on the pump .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Steering Pump Noise

Postby chopper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for this Ger! I'll pass the info on to my mechanic and judge how panicked his response is!!
chopper
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion