Go to footer

Mini buying advice

Use this forum to discuss anything general/everyday to do with MINI. For technical questions, try the individual forums below.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Mini buying advice

Postby timmydamini » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi folks,

I'd welcome some advice from some of you experts re buying a classic mini.

What is a good model in terms of collectability and future investment?

What model would also be usable every day and could even be used on occasional track days etc.

What model year would you recommend and what kind of money are we talking about?

Many thanks,
Tim
timmydamini
Club Leader

Postby irlmin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:13 pm

I would think the best allround Classic is the RSP Cooper a limited edition of 1650 (1000 for UK ) this car was introduced to test Public reaction as regards the launching of the 'Cooper ' name again after a 20 year absence , it worked and the rest is history , My reasons are as follows , the RSP is the last Mini that can be maintained by a DIY person as no diagnostic gear is required to find faults , the engine is based on the MG Metro and can be tuned easily to give about 85 / 90 bhp .
The RSP was made in 3 duotone colour schemes , Flame Red/White , Black / White , BRG / White .

There were also about 70 odd converted initially by John Cooper Garages to RSP 'S' spec with about 250 converted to this spec later by dealers using JCG kits .if you are fortunate to find an RSP 'S' grab it .

The RSP is modern enough to be reliable to use every day if necessary ,
The RSP is collectable with an estimated 400 odd only left .
The RSP is with 80 odd hp really good fun and suitable for the odd trackday
The RSP has an oil cooler fitted as standard ,1st Mini since the Cooper S of the 60s to have this .
The RSP is in My opinion the best allround Mini ,

I will be covering the complete rebuild of My RSP ( no 861 ) on this site over a period of time ,so as soon as I get the time to start stripping it I will take many photos of the project and hopefully it will be of benefit to anyone such as yourself . Any other opinions Guys ?
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby timmydamini » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for that Ger, certainly one to look at then.
timmydamini
Club Leader

Postby timmydamini » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:28 pm

timmydamini
Club Leader

Postby irlmin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:30 pm

And NO I won't sell mine , I sold 4 of these through the years and always said I will keep the next one , never did though until now .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby irlmin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:46 pm

timmydamini wrote:Found this:

http://www.rsp-cooper-register.co.uk/

Yes a brilliant resource , I am a member there ,lots of really knowledgable People on there always willing to share their knowledge .also a few cars for sale as well from time to time .
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Rakey » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:14 pm

irlmin wrote:I would think the best allround Classic is the RSP Cooper a limited edition of 1650 (1000 for UK ) this car was introduced to test Public reaction as regards the launching of the 'Cooper ' name again after a 20 year absence , it worked and the rest is history , My reasons are as follows , the RSP is the last Mini that can be maintained by a DIY person as no diagnostic gear is required to find faults , the engine is based on the MG Metro and can be tuned easily to give about 85 / 90 bhp .
The RSP was made in 3 duotone colour schemes , Flame Red/White , Black / White , BRG / White .

There were also about 70 odd converted initially by John Cooper Garages to RSP 'S' spec with about 250 converted to this spec later by dealers using JCG kits .if you are fortunate to find an RSP 'S' grab it .

The RSP is modern enough to be reliable to use every day if necessary ,
The RSP is collectable with an estimated 400 odd only left .
The RSP is with 80 odd hp really good fun and suitable for the odd trackday
The RSP has an oil cooler fitted as standard ,1st Mini since the Cooper S of the 60s to have this .
The RSP is in My opinion the best allround Mini ,

I will be covering the complete rebuild of My RSP ( no 861 ) on this site over a period of time ,so as soon as I get the time to start stripping it I will take many photos of the project and hopefully it will be of benefit to anyone such as yourself . Any other opinions Guys ?
that is what I would love to have, my friend had one of these in red, it was stunning.

I do still have an RSP steering wheel I think at my dads in his garage, not sure why or how, but I liked it as it had the red leather.
[img:1]http://www.totalmini.com/forum/members/rakey-albums-signatures-picture1245-sigpic8969-4.jpg[/img]
Rakey
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby 1lightningd » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:10 pm

Rakey, mind the steering wheel. I have a feeling O'Leary will be on to you about that.
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Location: London. 2012 picking up a gold medal for Kazakhstan

Postby irlmin » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:12 pm

I have a JC 'signed' motolita same as I have in the Cabriolet for My RSP so you are safe . now if you happened to have a complete interior -- that I would be interested in .
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion