Go to footer

Blown Head Gasket

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Blown Head Gasket

Postby mc_mini » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:17 pm

So after asking about if I had the correct thermostat housing over here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4628 turns out this is the least of my worries. Garage rang me back this evening to say suspected blown head gasket.
In fairness I checked the car again the other day and there was white milky residue on the oil cap and the coolant level had dropped almost to the min and is badly discoloured - almost brown. These changes happened over a few days as I check the car almost weekly or every two weeks and had checked it more often lately. This had me fearing it was the head gasket!

Waiting for a quote back for the work but can anyone give me an idea of the cost? Besides getting the timing chain done while everything is apart should I be replacing other items as a preventive measure? I don't want to pay for the labour for the head to be done only to find that rings or something need changing at a later date.
mc_mini
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help