Go to footer

Heater issue

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Heater issue

Postby SUL » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:26 am

The heater in my mini has just packed in. Any idea where I should start looking to sort the issue?
SUL
SUL
Getting used to the place

Postby jimskater » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:50 pm

Check the Fuses??
[img]http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/754/gp_delivery_photos_mtts_227_sig_2_.jpg[/img]
jimskater
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Step_7 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Is it blowing but not heating or just not blowing?
Step_7

Postby irlmin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:21 pm

1 st step is to check the water level in the rad !!! its the 1st sign of water loss a poor heater , are You saying the heater fan is not working ? if its not it might be a fuse , also We see a few motors pack up as well .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby SUL » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 am

It's not working at all. I had a look at the fuses and they look ok. I'm going to check the switch at the week end and if all else fails the motor will get looked at. Is there any quaick way of telling where to start?
SUL
SUL

Postby irlmin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:43 pm

I will have a quick look for You on Monday if You have not solved it .just remind me .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby SUL » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:58 am

Finally sorted the problem. Loose wiring :oops:
SUL
SUL

Postby irlmin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:03 am

You have a PM SUL
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Heater issue

Postby misstrixy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Hey! i know this is an old post but Ive got the same problem - Ive checked fuses, water levels etc. There is cold air flowing but I cant get it to heat up.....ive been told its the heating matrix - but im afraid thats double dutch to me......any help would be great. Sarah
misstrixy
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:46 pm

The heater matrix is like a domestic rad , hot water runs through it and it emits hot air , the air is directed around the car ie to the screen or to the floor by the heater direction controls and there is a fan to help the hot air get where you need it , well that's the theory anyway , there are a few difficulties that crop up with age etc , the car might not be getting hot enough to have a decent heater this might be caused by a dodgy thermostat , the heater 'rad' might be blocked , the heater 'valve ' might be blocked or the adjuster cable has detached from the valve and leaving it in the 'off' position , or simply the heater control knob is in the wrong position , we have come across lots of reasons for a poor heater ,major improvements were made in Nov 1996 with the introduction of the MPi mini which had a 2 speed fan as well as an improved control valve . if your heater matrix or 'rad ' is blocked it might be worth using some rad 'flush' a liquid cleaner which is put in the cooling system and left for a short period to work , then use a domestic water hose to flush through the cooling system by detaching one of the heater pipes and turning on your tap and allowing the water to flow through your system , its amazing how much muck comes out , if this doesn't sort your heater I am afraid its time to remove the unit and have the matrix professionally stripped and cleaned or indeed fit a new matrix .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Bawnee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:43 am

So sorry to hear the heater is gone in your car Sarah, brr!! Hope it gets sorted soon for you, it's not the best time of year for a heater to go!!
Bawnee

Postby misstrixy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:44 pm

so...i managed to drain my rad and put in rad flush (might seem like a little thing but to me was massive so im very proud of myself) however it has not changed the heating situation - tho i was very glad to learn how to do it! i guess stripping the heating matrix is next....
at least the nights are getting brighter, so hopefully the weather will get warmer!
misstrixy
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Drive around as normal for a few days and see if it improves , then get a normal garden hose and remove one of the heater pipes and 'flush' through with clean water , then if that will not sort it its change the heater matrix . I presume you have the heater control in the 'hot' position ? and that the mini is reaching normal temp on the temp gauge .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby misstrixy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:00 pm

putting the heater control in 'hot' position did take a while to figure out but I am positive that it is in the right position now, and yes it is reaching normal temp on the temp gauge. will flush the heater pipes this weekend, otherwise i guess ill have to check my mini into mini hospital :)
misstrixy
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 am

misstrixy wrote:putting the heater control in 'hot' position did take a while to figure out but I am positive that it is in the right position now, and yes it is reaching normal temp on the temp gauge. will flush the heater pipes this weekend, otherwise i guess ill have to check my mini into mini hospital :)

Hey Sarah ;)
Fair play to you for doing the work yourself!
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help