Go to footer

Increasing Power

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Increasing Power

Postby VolcanoAndy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:27 pm

Been thinking of ways to increase the power in my mini, but i suppose i'll start off easy, so i want the air flowing right!!

Would i be better off keeping my standard airbow or would an induction kit be better?

I have also been looking at the mpi trottle boy, is this any good?

And finally as many of ye have probably seen i would like the Janspeed exhaust in the JWC 90bhp kit, however there is only 1 back box, so would i lose too much back pressure and therefore too much power??

sorry for all the questions but i was told to get posting haha
VolcanoAndy
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby 1lightningd » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:31 pm

G Leary, is the man for this! He has a serious engine on the way from the U.K. at the mo.
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Location: London. 2012 picking up a gold medal for Kazakhstan

Postby VolcanoAndy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:46 pm

don't think it'll be my cup of tea, need easy reliable mods, can't break the bank need money for college
VolcanoAndy

Postby 1lightningd » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:50 pm

Change the head?
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Postby VolcanoAndy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Stage 3 Kit???
VolcanoAndy

Postby irlmin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 pm

Andrew,
Have a talk with Fergal ( Minimpi) We fitted a Maniflow manifold and RC40system as well as a throttle body mod and K+N filter ( in original case ) To His mini and it really flies , stay away from 'Induction kits ' as I find they are only good to make induction noise , single box Maniflow or RC 40 will be good . Give Me a shout some Day and we will do a simple mod to the throtle body and it will make a good difference as well , but in the meantime talk to Fergal .
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby laura » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:51 pm

i've got a stage 1 kit on my italian job, rc40 exhaust, LCB manifold & K&N airfilter and it goes a treat since, didn't costs the earth to put and nothing has fallen off so far! It sounds really nice too :D
laura

Postby VolcanoAndy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks,

Keep the suggestions coming :)
VolcanoAndy

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:39 pm

Hi Andrew,
As Ger said, I have a Maniflow LCB and a stainless rc40 single box exhaust fitted. I also have a small but significant mod done to the throttle body.
I have a replacement K&N airfilter element,same as standard but with more breathing and lifetime purchase. "Induction kits,ie: 57i etc. are s**t and make car slower and way too loud!
What I have done has transformed the car.
It has serious grunt now.
I'm always on the quest for more power however :twisted: so I'm getting a very good quality Stage 3 head for it shortly and possibly changing the exhaust to a Maniflow as I had one on my Wolselely Hornet rally car and it was outstanding!
Any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and answer them.
Fergal.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby ID » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:10 pm

Ohhhh... all this has got me thinking :D :D.... maybe I need suspension AND engine mods for my Cooper 35 8)
ID
Getting used to the place

Postby irlmin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:42 pm

ID wrote:Ohhhh... all this has got me thinking :D :D.... maybe I need suspension AND engine mods for my Cooper 35 8)

Don't Forget the Brakes !!
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby 1lightningd » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:53 pm

ID wrote:Ohhhh... all this has got me thinking :D :D.... maybe I need suspension AND engine mods for my Cooper 35 8)

I here good reports about the smooth ride kits.
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Postby ID » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:09 pm

irlmin wrote:

Don't Forget the Brakes !!

8O 8O ...I knew there was something else on the list :P

BTW... found out that there is a club day up here on a rolling road which is also being covered by miniworld again 8) ...it will be after my modding visit to you so might be quite interesting ;) :D
ID

Postby ID » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:12 pm

1lightningd wrote:

I've heard they are excellent on the sportspacks, but tbh I want more of a performance setup ;)
ID

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:53 pm

ID wrote:
1lightningd wrote:

I've heard they are excellent on the sportspacks, but tbh I want more of a performance setup ;)

I'm fitting a set of AVO's,Minispares HiLo's,rear camber/tracking brackets and adjustable tierod's shortly. Thought about fitting the Smoothride kit too but as mine and yours are 12" models I think this will be the better set up for the car. I had similar setup on my Wolselely Hornet Rally car and it was excellent,always had full confidence in the setup at full wack and never let me down.
Fergal.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help