Go to footer

Suspension uprades on a 96 Cooper

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Suspension uprades on a 96 Cooper

Postby ID » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Ok... I've got the classic and it's now time to look at doing some work :)

my plan is to improve the handling and then to go for some minor engine improvements.

I've spoken a few times to Gerard about what upgrade options are available, but I'm looking for opinions about how far I should go with it...

Is a set of hi-lo's and new shocks enough??... or should I go for adjustable tie rods and camber brackets as well??... what are the levels of improvement at each stage??

I don't want to go over the top straight away as I'm planning to keep it for a while and I'll need something to keep my interest going by doing further mods ;)
ID
Getting used to the place

Postby MiniMpi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:27 am

Hiya,
It's up to yourself really if you want to do it bit by bit or all together.
One thing I'll say is to get the right stuff cause if your going to do it do it right! :)
Get the 'proper' HiLos,ie: Minispares Genuine HiLos or Minisports Adusta rides. The 'cheap' versions can seize up or sometimes snap!(rear bar).
Also, shocks wise go for AVO adustibles,yer only man!
This will make a huge difference,but to really finish off the job get the Adjustible Tie rods and the Minispares camber and tracking rear brackets(Aidan O' Leary will tell you that the other make brackets are s**t and don't fit right.
Do all this(I'm doing exactly this shortly)and you'll have a serious handling Mini :D
Fergal.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby ID » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:25 am

Cheers... sounds like doing everything is the way to go :)
ID
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help