Go to footer

Electrics - Temp/Fuel gauge - location of voltage stabiliser

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Electrics - Temp/Fuel gauge - location of voltage stabiliser

Postby SPi » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 pm

Hello,
Would be grateful if anyone with a later classic mini could help me out!
Both my temperature and fuel gauges aren't working. There is a tiny bit of current going through, as the fuel gauge needle raises very slightly when the tank is full.
After looking at the wiring diagrams I thought the voltage stabiliser might be at fault. But I can't find the fecking thing! My Haynes manual seems to think it should plug in to the back of the instrument console, just under the speedo cable. But there isn't anything there! See picture below:
So I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me where the voltage stabilizer (american spelling, just to help anyone who googles for the problem in the future!) lives on my 96 SPi mini, or if anyone has any other suggestions on what might cause gauge gremlins.
SPi
Just Joined!

Postby ONED » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:06 am

try taking the wire off the tank guage in the boot, and earth it to rule out float switch. Guage should read Full :?
ONED
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby irlmin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:12 pm

ONED wrote:try taking the wire off the tank guage in the boot, and earth it to rule out float switch. Guage should read Full :?

Barry had a Classic Mini with a dodgy fuel gauge in the dark and distant past . , to add to that just a few questions

Did both work and stop at the same time ?

Did anything elase stop working as well ie heater fan / horn etc ?

Voltage stabilizers don't give any problems usually , have a look at earths .

Try Barry's idea with tank unit and if gauge rises to full it's 'tank unit ' at fault . if not We will see at that stage .
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby SPi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the responses
I had checked the sender unit previously (sorry, should have said that), and earthing it didn't do anything. Both stopped working at the same time.
Only other electrical problem is rear foglight -- and I think that's gone due to corrosion, and it's on a different circuit, isn't it?
Grr, hate mini electrics!
SPi
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:48 pm

SPi wrote:Hi guys, thanks for the responses
I had checked the sender unit previously (sorry, should have said that), and earthing it didn't do anything. Both stopped working at the same time.
Only other electrical problem is rear foglight -- and I think that's gone due to corrosion, and it's on a different circuit, isn't it?
Grr, hate mini electrics!

I'll have a think about it and be back later
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby ONED » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:27 am

It's something in the live feed then - common to both guages!

cos both earth through the sender/switch.

Need to trace this back thru clock circuit and supply to clocks!

try 12v to line supplying guages
ONED
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby SPi » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am

OneD:

Thanks a million for the advice, and what you suggest sounds very sensible. I'll try and push 12V through the gauges to see if they're at fault, and if not I'll work my way through the circuit with a multimeter!

Still a bit mystified as to where my voltage stabiliser lives, but I suppose the wires can only lead to it, so I'll find it somewhere on my travels!

Advice very much appreciated (although on the upside, at least I get an accurate view of my fuel consumption! 6 l/100km when not in the city (40mpg for you imperial types!), which ain't half bad, is it?)
SPi
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:38 am

SPi wrote:OneD:

Thanks a million for the advice, and what you suggest sounds very sensible. I'll try and push 12V through the gauges to see if they're at fault, and if not I'll work my way through the circuit with a multimeter!

Still a bit mystified as to where my voltage stabiliser lives, but I suppose the wires can only lead to it, so I'll find it somewhere on my travels!

Advice very much appreciated (although on the upside, at least I get an accurate view of my fuel consumption! 6 l/100km when not in the city (40mpg for you imperial types!), which ain't half bad, is it?)

Voltage stabilisation is done by a 'Zener Diode' and not a vs as previously , but I would look for poor earths somewhere .have a look at fuses also and of course fusebox connections .
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help