Go to footer

buggies/prams to fit mini boot...airbag deactivation.

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

buggies/prams to fit mini boot...airbag deactivation.

Postby princess-peach » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:49 pm

hi all,i havent being on in a very long time.Expecting my 1st baby,and not wanting to part with my mini(04)ive found there isnt a great selection of prams/buggies to fit the boot,in fact ive only came across one practical one that is quite expensive(bugaboo cameloen)and it fits in boot with all wheels taking off!also has anyone else had front airbag deactivated,if so how much does it cost? :S :)
princess-peach
Just Joined!

Postby 1lightningd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:15 pm

Welcome back princess-peach its been too long. Congrads on the good news. And I'm delighted that you have decided to keep the Mini, so many people THINK that they wont manage with such a small car so the ditch them for bigger models only to find after that they made a big mistake.
We have managed with two kids for the last 5 years just fine and we never had to leave anything behind us!!!

Try these two, the quinny is the best one IMO, but having said that I picked up a stroller for 20 euro and it fitted fine with the parcel shelf taken out,

Combi Dash DX
Quinny Zapp

http://www.zapp.quinny.com/

http://www.mypushchair.co.uk/combi-dash-dx.php

I hope these help.

Alvin
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Location: London. 2012 picking up a gold medal for Kazakhstan

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:47 pm

It sounds like yours is one of the 04's before the facelift, otherwise there would be a keyhole on the passenger's side where you can insert the key to deactivate the airbag.

If you don't have that, an official MINI Dealer won't touch the job with a bargepole, you'll have to find someone willing to do the job ... and that will be hard, because if you were ever to have an accident, and the other bags didn't deploy, you could easily sue them.

As far as I know, the airbags in the MINI have a resistance of 4 Ohms, so it could be possible to place a 4 Ohm resistor in place of the dashboard airbag, but you also have airbags in the seat which must be deactivated too. The good news about the one in the seats is that MINI sell a part numbered item that plugs in instead of the airbag. But you're still stuck with the Dashboard one after.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby 1lightningd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Owen wrote:It sounds like yours is one of the 04's before the facelift, otherwise there would be a keyhole on the passenger's side where you can insert the key to deactivate the airbag.

Owen mine is a 05 and I had to spec that option it was in 06 when it came in as standard as far as I know.
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Yes Alvie, but before the facelifted model, it was impossible to spec that option at all.
Owen

Postby 1lightningd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Ahhhh I'm with you now. :rolleyes:
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Postby irlmin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:56 pm

I was under the impression the dealer will do it after a letter of indemnity is signed for MINI UK and a code is then sent from UK to deactivate the particular airbag
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:02 pm

They'll do that only for the seat airbags Ger, and generally only if you're replacing the seats with JCW versions.
Owen

Re:

Postby Step_7 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I had my Jan 04 Cooper S passenger airbag deactivated by my MINI dealer (David Prentice in Portadown) - Completely officially as well - they changed the passenger seatbelt and then deactivated the airbag with codes from Germany I think. They did take a while to sort it out but I have a little official sticker on the door shut stating "Passenger airbag deactivated" I think I had to sign a disclaimer but not 100% sure.

It cost me £200 to have it done and I have the old seatbelt to have the procedure reversed if required.
Step_7
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Owen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 pm

There was a brief moment in time where Dealers would do the passenger Airbag, but after I made enquires in late 04 about this, they said they would no longer do it Niall, it cost me a sale at the time too unfortunately.
Owen

Re:

Postby Step_7 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 pm

Mine was done in February 2008 no problems and they were happy to do my 02 Cooper as well before I decided to change cars - seriously ring Prentices if you don't believe me! Unless Irish dealers can't do this of course although I can't see why it would be different in any part of the EU?
Step_7

Postby Owen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 pm

If that's the case, then princess-peach should definitely get herself up to the North. Genuinely I was told this was a no-no for cars that didn't have the de-activation switch.

Learn something new every day! :1icon_cool:
Owen

Re: buggies/prams to fit mini boot...airbag deactivation.

Postby Rakey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 am

princess-peach wrote:hi all,i havent being on in a very long time.Expecting my 1st baby,and not wanting to part with my mini(04)ive found there isnt a great selection of prams/buggies to fit the boot,in fact ive only came across one practical one that is quite expensive(bugaboo cameloen)and it fits in boot with all wheels taking off!also has anyone else had front airbag deactivated,if so how much does it cost? :S :)
Wouldn't buy the bugaboo anyway, even if it was half the price, its far too complicated to use ;)

A few other ideas of features you want or need will help me to give you a few options:

Like do you want it face rearwards?
Do you want 3 or 4 wheeled chassis?
Do you need to have the car seat attach to the pushchair?

Based on what you've been looking at though I'd recommend you take a look at the new Britax Vigour 4+, its hitting the shops in the next few weeks. Full lie flat, seat able to face both directions, includes raincover, apron, and very easy to operate, and that fits in a similar way to the Bugaboo by taking the rear wheels off.

But if you want smaller, that you don't want to take apart then the options are very limited, and you'll struggle to find a product where the seat faces towards you as you push it, products to look at are the M&P Aria, the Quinny Zapp, and the Britax Beep.

If you want some more advice just let me know as the rest of the guys on here will just talk about the airbag for a few pages :lol:
[img:1]http://www.totalmini.com/forum/members/rakey-albums-signatures-picture1245-sigpic8969-4.jpg[/img]
Rakey

Postby 1lightningd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Rakey wrote:
princess-peach wrote:If you want some more advice just let me know as the rest of the guys on here will just talk about the airbag for a few pages :lol:

........and he will get back to you in 6 months when he's on-line again lol lol lol
1lightningd
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Rakey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm

1lightningd wrote:
Rakey wrote:
princess-peach wrote:If you want some more advice just let me know as the rest of the guys on here will just talk about the airbag for a few pages :lol:

........and he will get back to you in 6 months when he's on-line again lol lol lol
feck off, I'm back again today lol
[img:1]http://www.totalmini.com/forum/members/rakey-albums-signatures-picture1245-sigpic8969-4.jpg[/img]
Rakey

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help