Go to footer

Dreaded Gearbox

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Dreaded Gearbox

Postby Colin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 pm

HI all! I a recent moment of madness, spurred on by the happy fact that i didnt break down on the MTM, and havin a bit of time on my hands!!! always dangerous!!! decided that my 1981 997 replica was lookin tired and needed some Nip Tuck. all going well. so far. but to my point. engine stripped. g box and diff split.

1. Should i attempt to rebuild the box myself (not bad with d spannerin)

2. any ideas of cost for someone to do it for me

3. Kinda thinkin of s/c drop gears? :twisted:

any thoughts would be great

Colin.
Colin
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi Colin,
Give Ger(Irlmin) a pm on this,he should be able to give you a price for standard rebuild or S/C rebuild.
Fergal.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Owen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:59 pm

I'd agree with Ferg on this one. It's great fun to do your own spanner work from time to time, and I'd be handy enough too, but I'd never attempt a gearbox. Too many things to go wrong, even with all the special tools, and haynes manuals. You're aswell off getting this to someone who's done it a few times.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Dreaded Gearbox

Postby irlmin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:54 pm

Colin wrote:HI all! I a recent moment of madness, spurred on by the happy fact that i didnt break down on the MTM, and havin a bit of time on my hands!!! always dangerous!!! decided that my 1981 997 replica was lookin tired and needed some Nip Tuck. all going well. so far. but to my point. engine stripped. g box and diff split.

1. Should i attempt to rebuild the box myself (not bad with d spannerin)

2. any ideas of cost for someone to do it for me

3. Kinda thinkin of s/c drop gears? :twisted:

any thoughts would be great

Colin.

Hi Colin ,
Welcome to the site , as regards Your gearbox what is the problem ? I presume 2nd gear syncro problem , We rebuild lots of gearboxes and usual problems are syncro and bearings . as regards s/c drop gears don't even think about it for a road car as the noise will wreck your head for NO advantage , std box / idler gear setup is OK for 100bhp road car . We have customers with 1430 cc 100+ bhp cars and no gearbox problems with std setup .
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:45 am

cheers guys, im a bit deaf but if s/c drop gears are that loud, std rebuild it is. prob a wee easier on pocket, and other more deserving areas to squander me hard earned sense.
yea, syncro second and third. prob a bearin as well if the truth be known. got very good at old skool toe and heal, dbl clutchin n stuff. but enough was enough.

the engine was rebuilt not too long ago and is mint, the auld box was neglected however, bout sixty thou on it at this stage!!
diff seems spot on. minor tooth chip on one gear, wonder where that bit went eh!!
thanks for advise ill give you a shout wen the time comes, i hope it wont be too far away. is this a decent way to contact you Gerard
Colin
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby irlmin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:44 am

Colin wrote:cheers guys, im a bit deaf but if s/c drop gears are that loud, std rebuild it is. prob a wee easier on pocket, and other more deserving areas to squander me hard earned sense.
yea, syncro second and third. prob a bearin as well if the truth be known. got very good at old skool toe and heal, dbl clutchin n stuff. but enough was enough.

the engine was rebuilt not too long ago and is mint, the auld box was neglected however, bout sixty thou on it at this stage!!
diff seems spot on. minor tooth chip on one gear, wonder where that bit went eh!!
thanks for advise ill give you a shout wen the time comes, i hope it wont be too far away. is this a decent way to contact you Gerard

Gearboxes should always be sorted when You do anything major to an engine ie rebuild etc as the metalic bits that are floating around the oil in a poor box are finding their way up to the crank / bearings / oil pump etc and causing havoc . no problem contacting Me on here or PM Me if I can help further .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help