Go to footer

Engine fixes and problems

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Engine fixes and problems

Postby andrewr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:43 am

Hi,

How all is well with everyone?

I haven't had a chance to post in a while and thought I would tell you all about my recent problems with my MINI.

Before Christmas I was driving the Cooper S back from Wicklow when the engine started making a diesel drone while the engine was warm and at speed - as opposed to the famous R56 Cooper S cold engine rattle.

I contacted Frank Keane and booked the car for a check in the New Year. A few days before it was due in I was on the M50 in very heavy traffic. The amber engine warning light appeared, the engine hesitated and then it stalled. Needless to say I contacted them and the car was delivered to them on the back of a truck on the car's 1st birthday.

The car was with them for three weeks in total and it received a new timing chain and a detonator. The delay was due in part to the fact the parts had to dispatched from Germany. While the car was away I had 'great fun' with the replacement car I received: firstly a Ford Mondeo, which broke down and then a grim Toyota Avensis, with a spinning gear knob and slipping clutch, though this was the only car I could get at short notice. Eventually I contacted BMW service and received a 318d, which was excellent.

When I got the car back all seemed initially ok, though the engine warning appeared again very shortly after I received it. I though this might be a one-off, though it happened again and again: the last time while the car was moving and again it stalled.

This worried me a great deal and I contact FK again.

I am now told the car needs a new fuel pump, which is surprising given the fact it is only 1 year old and has only 30k on the clock.

Personally I'm a little pissed off at the moment.

My question is this: anyone heard of these problems before?

Regards,
Andrew
andrewr
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: Engine fixes and problems

Postby Derfinn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Welcome back Andrew!
Seems like ages......

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That's awful, but can't help you. The only troubles I've had was the fuse trouble for the engine temp (replaced as a recall), and the ABS unit failing. Everything has been sweet since that was replaced.

Hope you get sorted soon.
Derfinn
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby andrewr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:48 pm

A week later and the car seems to be going ok.

Thanks for the kind wishes; it's good to be welcome on one site!

Btw, has any1 heard of a guy called Taffy67, I think. His dislike of the MINI has to be experienced.

Regards,
Andrew
andrewr
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby sarahcunninn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 pm

3 weeks ago had a major engine failure. Experienced the "Death Rattle" in my Mini Cooper S R56 and no warning lights appeared then sudden engine failure. All controls seized and I nearly collided with an on-coming coach. My timing chain had snapped! A timing chain and its components are considered more durable than timing belts and timing chains are expected to last the life of an engine. The Automobile Association defines useful life of a light duty vehicle, such as the MINI Cooper S, as 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I have been quoted €4.5K for parts and repair from FK Mini.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what did they do?

Check out this US article: Is MINI Preparing a New Campaign for the Infamous Chain Tensioner?

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/05/31/ ... tensioner/

Mini Ireland should do something about this soon for 2007-20011 Cooper S's or else someone is going to be seriously injured as a result of sudden engine failure.
sarahcunninn
Just Joined!

Postby AdyP » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 pm

How old was your car, and what mileage did it have?

4.5k is a scary figure, perhaps an engine swap would be more cost-effective? Check with Irlmin (Ger).

Adrian
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help