Go to footer

hello

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

hello

Postby heavo69 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:26 pm

good evenin everyone i'm new here and love what i see so far i finally have a place to learn things and ask questions about my car. recently i got a 1995 austin/rover mini cooper. its a jap import and for its age its quiet clean!!! now standard there ok but i want to modify it by putting on superlite deepdish wheels wider arches to suit the wheels and in time do an exhaust mod. i love mini's that are done up like this i think they look great.

my first questions to you are: 1- what are the issues with changing standard wheels to superlite deepdish wheels? eg spacers+bolts/cutting the inside of wheel arch etc
2- is it difficult to change small wheel arches to the wider ones to suit the bigger wheels?
3- does taking off standard exhaust and changing it with a better one effect the car? eg engine power/ emissions?
and finally this is a long shot but can you install a power steering pump or sum device to lighten the steering? eg pump/ messing with steering box or gears?

answers to my questions would greatly help and i'll put up a pic now to show you the car as is!!! thanks G
[IMG:640:480]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/heavorr/ABCD0007.jpg[/img]
heavo69
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun May 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi and welcome to the site
In answer to your questions re wheels, yes you will have to cut the wings at the front to clear the 6 X 12 wheels , as regards the larger arches fitting depends on what type you chose to fit , if sportpack you will need to cut the wings further , there are other wider arches ie group 5 or 'euro' arches from several suppliers , if you find the need for power steering now with 4.5 x 12 wheels you will find the steering heavier with the 6 x 12's , you can fit power steering but its a very timeconsuming and expensive operation . as regards exhaust we only use 'Maniflow' systems as the fit and will show a power increase , beware of BIG exhaust systems as the will cost you power --sure you will have noise but thats all !! .
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby heavo69 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:08 pm

thanks for advice. so i dont need spacers for the wheels.? as regards cutting is it drastic or is it an easy enough job either way i dont mind?. exhaust isn't a big priority but something to do in time! as for steering i might just deal with it lol
heavo69
Just Joined!

Postby heavo69 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:57 pm

any more tips or info??
heavo69
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Thu May 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Sorry for the delay in reply but I was away in UK at MINI United 50th birthday party , there is a template available to mark out where you have to cut , We did a 1997 Mini Cooper Today the same spec as your car, jap import also , We cut the wings and fitted the sportpack arches after painting , We have done lots of these so dont need the template now , if you have basic skills it is a diy job , remember you must have the new arches painted as well .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby heavo69 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:22 pm

i see not too bad so. any pics of your work or the template??? cheers for the help
heavo69
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help