Go to footer

Works Sound Kit

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Works Sound Kit

Postby AdyP » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi lads/lasses,
Has anyone fitted or even heard the JCW Sound Kit on a Cooper? Just wondering what you thought of it as I was told by my local dealer that it's going for about a grand right now and sounds amazing on a car he sat in.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Owen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:42 pm

It's no more amazing than a cat back exhaust, but then again, there's the prestige of having JCW under the bonnet!
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby AdyP » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:19 pm

Hmm...do you reckon if I bore a big hole in the bulkhead and run some tubing from the airbox into the glovebox it might sound as amazing for a good bit less? I can get myself a works badge off ebay for a good bit less too, and wouldn't feel like I was cheating at all javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Wink

It'd be nice to have the JCW tailpipe and badge on the back, but I'm not sure it really has the same kind of prestige upgrade an S might have once it's been worked on by the JCW magic.

I guess in all honesty it would cost about the same for a cat-back and a chip, and I would get lots more go for my geegees. Was just curious about folks experience.
AdyP

Postby Owen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:22 pm

JCW=3Hp
MTH Tuning = 130Bhp.
Owen

Postby AdyP » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:06 pm

So what are you trying to say here? :wink:
AdyP

Postby Owen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm saying nothing actually. If you want a prestigous conversion, then go JCW, there is no real substitute for JCW products. But what I would do is get the JCW exhaust, and then go for the MTH Chip. Mmmm, perfect combination :-)
Owen

Re: Works Sound Kit

Postby irlmin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:50 pm

BlueZed wrote:Hi lads/lasses,
Has anyone fitted or even heard the JCW Sound Kit on a Cooper? Just wondering what you thought of it as I was told by my local dealer that it's going for about a grand right now and sounds amazing on a car he sat in.

The JCW sound kit is just that 'a sound kit ' it uses a cat back big bore exhaust and a 'trick' airfilter housing as well as a remap. it's worth 3 bhp . and is an expensive way of getting 3bhp , however if You want the JCW badge and originality of the 'Kit ' then go for it .OR if You want performance use the JCW rear exhaust ( Available from KOL MINI in Cork) a K+N panel filter in the original casing and a Remap ( MTH of course ) . the reason JCW is restricted in the amount of power they can produce is based on the fact the cars have to be able to be used in any climate , with any fuel ( from 88 octane to 99 octane ) , and at any altitude ie top of high mountain roads and down in valleys etc . MTH however is optomised for either 95 or 98 octane fuel , usually 95 in Ireland . In fact we have done MTH remaps on JCW Cooper S because of the poor JCW mapping because of the above restrictions .It's down to what You want from Your MINI .
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby madbrummie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:36 pm

I have the sound kit, yes it doesn't kick out much power, but it sounds amazing and is so refined. It has a great ability to do what you want it to do, upto 3k rpm you wouldn't know its there but above that it really comes alive.

As has been said it depends what you want. I have enough power, its the experience i love, so the sound kit kits me perfectly. Plus i got a very good deal which means i didn't pay anything near list price ;) 3 years of warrenty without worry and the prestige of the badge.

I modded my first cooper aftermarket and it didn't feel 'right' this does.
madbrummie

Postby AdyP » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 am

Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

Just curious, I can't remember whether the warranty on MINIs are 3 years or only 2, fairly sure it's 3... :roll:
AdyP

Postby Owen » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:51 am

BlueZed wrote:Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

Just curious, I can't remember whether the warranty on MINIs are 3 years or only 2, fairly sure it's 3... :roll:

It depends on when you bought it. If it's from mid-04 onwards, it's 2 years, with 3 years roadside assistance.
Owen

Postby AdyP » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:10 am

Super, only 18 months before the mods start then.

Why is it that Irish dealerships only give 2 years warranty when in the UK they are generally 3 years? It was the very same for my missus's Golf as they usually get the full 3.
AdyP

Postby Step_7 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:35 pm

irlmin wrote:OR if You want performance use the JCW rear exhaust ( Available from KOL MINI in Cork)

Didn't know you could buy that seperately - does it come with the JCW logo tailpipe? ANd if so how much would it be. Kinda fancy going down the MTH/K&N route myself but a JCW exhaust would round it off nicely. :)
Step_7

Postby Owen » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:52 pm

Step_7 wrote:Didn't know you could buy that seperately - does it come with the JCW logo tailpipe? ANd if so how much would it be. Kinda fancy going down the MTH/K&N route myself but a JCW exhaust would round it off nicely. :)

Yes, it does come with the Logo tailpipe. If enough people are interested, I can do a group buy on these for the club.
Owen

Postby Step_7 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:38 pm

Any chance of PM'ing me a price for one of these as there doesn't seem to be much interest in a group buy..... :(

Still not sure about going down the "Pretend" JCW route but the power from the Sound kit just isn't worth the money IMHO - even if the sound is good. :wink:
Step_7

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help