Go to footer

Engine converting

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Engine converting

Postby Neasha » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Is there a way to make a 998cc into a 1293? If so how can this be done.

or what would be the cheapest way to boost a 998cc engine? All help appreciated.
Neasha
Getting used to the place

Postby AdyP » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Nope, the block will be limited to little over 998cc. Your best option is to look for an engine on ebay or at the breakers. The Austin Metro engines will fit as well and are generally better units than the Mini ones.

The 998 can give good power though, a little head work, a hotter cam( but not too silly a profile as it will not drive well), a Stage One tuning kit works very well(including exhaust, manifold, intake manifold, air filter, carb needle), HIF carb. Lots of options that will make a very nice car, but not one that will stay with a 1293 if you put them head to head on the road. If the current engine is a good strong one then consider it, if not then go bigger I would say.

Let us know what you want and what you have and we can recommend some stuff.

Cheers!
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Neasha » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 pm

Cheers for replying Bluezed.

My engine is a 998cc from a 1988 austin mini. According to the mechanic I use its a good solid engine but has a problem at the moment thats waiting to be repaired.

I am basicly looking for a little more Pull from the engine. Going up hills and taking off at red lights strains the car a bit.

If I could get a little more pull from a 998cc and would be cheaper than buying a new engine then I would ofcourse choose that option first. But if you say the 1.3 would always have more power then that is what im looking for.

Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a 2nd hand 1.3 engine? what do you think would be a fair price for a 2nd hand 1.3?

Ps which of these tuning kits would work best?

http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/Mini_Tuning_Kits.html
Neasha
Getting used to the place

Postby iwanagofast » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:57 pm

The stage one kit on ours worked wonders and its by far the cheaper option. You'll probably find that most mini mechanics don't use a "kit" a such but have their own parts that they use to make up a kit.
For us it was a custom exhaust, carb needle, rc 40 manifold, k and n doughnut airfilter ( I don't think the cone preform as well but will give better noise, the more experienced guys can tell me if i'm wrong).
O'learys in cork are brilliant (talk to Ger/irlmin on here) or Ray in the Galway Mini Centre ( he did ours as we live in Galway). Both have a wealth of experience in doing these conversions. As for the different kits on minisport it depends on the type of carb you have. I'm sure one of the lads will tell you.
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast

Postby AdyP » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:59 pm

If you are finding hills a bit of a struggle then you probably need more torque from your engine. You will get some from the tuning kits but although low-down response will be better, mainly they will let the engine rev better higher up, so possibly not what you want.

For this I would say keep your eyes peeled for a 1.3 and then tune that up with the same elements mentioned in the kits. You are starting off with around 60-63bhp as standard with the 1.3, 45 or so bhp with the 1.0, but the torque would be the big difference. You can then easily get the 1.3 up to 75-80 without it costing very much or opening the engine up and getting messy. After that, increasing the capacity to 1293, 1310, 1340, 1380 etc costs more and is more involved. It depends what you want really, but it doesn't have to hurt the pocket too much.

Price-wise, when I had my classic I got a hold of an MG Metro complete for €200, and then sold the brakes and the seats for €175. Pretty cheap result :)

Ger often has cars in that need stripping down, so maybe he can keep an eye out for you.
AdyP

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help