Go to footer

mpi wont start after installing new head?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

mpi wont start after installing new head?

Postby flickr » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:27 am

howdy folks... i just put in a stage 3 head and lcb manifold, which all went fine. only problem is i cant get the car to start? it turns over but no ignition? anyone any suggestions? there is one pop or low bang noise like a backfire when trying to start also.
flickr
Getting used to the place

Postby flickr » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:46 pm

also i think the pushrods might have gotten mixed up... i had them labelled on a sheet but they were picked up by someone and dumped back down all on top of eachother!
flickr

Postby bomber01 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:58 am

When you say no ignition do you mean no spark ?
If you have a spark then you have your plug leads mixed up.
other wise check your valve clearances.

john
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc67/lancasterj/IMG_2173.jpg[/IMG]
bomber01
Club Treasurer

Postby flickr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 pm

yep cheers bomber, it was indeed the valve clearances. i'm learning, slowly but surely.
car feels great with the new head and manifold...some serious heat coming off the manifold though which i was expecting. but on the way home from tescos today the car started to overheat, not stuck in traffic but moving alone calmly and steadily! i pulled in straight away and could hear the fan working away which did cool the engine down but the second i went to drive off the temp gauge began to move again so i just turned off the engine and sat ontil completely cooled. got home grand without incident. weird. could the thermostat have stuck maybe? weird that the car began to cool down when stopped but heat up when moving again. i had the opposite problem a while back where my fan was not coming on due to rusty innards.
flickr

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help