Go to footer

joint wheel and tyrne problem...

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

joint wheel and tyrne problem...

Postby O_B » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:58 pm

i recently bought 4 new tyres for my mini for its nct but when i brought the car down to get the wheels fitted the wheel nuts had been rounded and were impossible to get off so im told. Is this true? they are thirteen inch sportspack alloys. The guy told me i would have to go to someone who would cut off the nuts for me and buy new ones!! Is this what i would have to do? Would be delighted with some seplies thanks guys!
O_B
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby MiniMpi » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:49 am

There is a chrome 'cap' on the original Rover nuts and if the wrong socket is used on them, then they round! the correct size is 11/16"
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby irlmin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:14 am

Fergal is correct , many tyre shops just don't understand that the OE wheel nuts have a stainless 'cap' which has to be removed WITH the nut using an 11/16 6 sided socket , because of abuse over the years using the incorrect sockets the nuts will become 'rounded ' . We usually stock the correct nuts , in fact We buy them 200 at the time .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby O_B » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:27 pm

and how would i go about taking off the current wheel nuts? :1icon_cry:
O_B
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help