Go to footer

Windscreen wipers

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Windscreen wipers

Postby mordamoja » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi,

Not sure if the problem I am having with my mini fits to this department?
It’s in relation to squeaking sound when wipers are turned on.
It is raining, and raining a lot lately. I did not start to worry about it, until I got my mini and realize driving could be very dangerous without properly working wipers.
When I turn the wipers on, sometimes they work OK, sometimes they make horrible squeaking noise (coming from under the bonnet, not from rubbing the windscreen)
Sometimes they slow down a little.
Is it the wipers motor or something else? The motor had been changed by previous owner not so long time ago, so I am hoping this is something else.
I will be gratefull for any suggestion, and help in relation to this problem.

Thanks

Maciej
mordamoja
Getting used to the place

Postby irlmin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi ,
How old is thw mini ? , I I think it would be your wiper motor as we are getting lots of minis in with failed motors recently , new motors are available again and hopefully this will solve your problem .pm me if I can help further .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Wipers

Postby mordamoja » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi irlmin,

This is 1996 Blue Star mini cooper brought originally from Germany.
Accordingly to the receipts the motor had been changed not so long time ago, but you are probably right, and only need to confirm with mechanic the squeaks are caused by failing motor.
How much would be to by new motor from you?
Have you heard about heavy duty wipers as replacements for standard one? They should wipe the windscreen better than standard accordingly to what’s on many websites selling them.

Cheers for the reply
mordamoja

Postby irlmin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:41 pm

While you are checking it have a look at the wiper 'rack' ie the unit that the cable is running in as well as the wiper 'spindles' the geared units under the 'wiper panel . you can check if they are free by taking off the wiper arms and removing the cable from the motor then push / pull the cable and check if it moves freely , if not remove the spindles / rack and check and lubricate the 'wheelboxes' , reassemble if its free and it should be ok , as regards decent wipers on a classic mini we find the only ones that work are the original 'black' Rover mini arms and blades , many people use 'chrome' or stainless replacements and these are terrible quality and will not wipe the screen , also I have always used 'rainex' which is a product that when applied to a dry screen will dissipate the water from the screen and make the job of the wipers much easier .I use this always even in my R55 Clubman , try it it works. Blue Star is a rare mini in Ireland get some pics up on the forum.
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

wipers

Postby mordamoja » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for accurate explanation.
That is very helpful, and I hope it will solve the problem, as I would avoid unnecessary expense. It will be checked this weekend, so I let you know if you if that caused the problem.
Gladly send couple of photos to be viewed. Where should I look for photos sent by other members?

Maciej
mordamoja

Re: Windscreen wipers

Postby mordamoja » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi,

It was good news…….for a while. No need to change wipers motor at the moment.
I sprayed some WD40 inside wiper rack and geared box. That did not help much, only reduced slightly the noise. Couple of days later I had used spray grease, and this time I sprayed again inside the rack and inside geared box by lifting slightly the cover. I did not need to remove the motor at all, and its working now like brand new.
In the meantime new problem start to appear …..gearbox. Funny and sad, one thing it’s fixed another one is only couple of driving miles away
Unfortunately by the way it look it’s not cheap as it involves all engine removal.
It used to be only when I was reducing gear from 3rd to 2nd, I could hear a crunch, but lately I have difficulties to put reverse gear as well, especially when engine/gearbox is cold. I can see minis develop this problem later in their lives. I think I just keep driving for a while as Christmas time is not the best time for mini expenses Would you know anyone around Kildare, who would be able to deal professionally with mini gearboxes? (I know Galway, Cork, but if it was somebody nearby ??)
I will place some photos of my mini when will be totally ready, as at the moment it is waiting for final polish and Blue Star decals.

Thanks

Maciej
mordamoja

Re: Windscreen wipers

Postby irlmin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Good to hear that your wipers are ok, very necessary in this current weather , as regards your gearbox , its a very common problem in spi and mpi minis , We do these regularly and in fact keep all the bits in stock , problem is if its left too long 'bits' form the gearbox will get into the oil pump and wreck the crankshaft etc . if you want a quote please send me a pm and I am sure we can sort your problem .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help