Go to footer

Drivers side door won't open at all

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Drivers side door won't open at all

Postby glassfish » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi

As in the subject line, my drivers door won't open !! The lock disengages and the button pops up but the door won't budge. I've tried it from inside and outside the car but no joy. The passenger door and boot opens fine.
Happened at the petrol station New Years Eve and I had to crawl over to the passenger side to get out

Anyone any ideas ??
glassfish
Just Joined!

Re: Drivers side door won't open at all

Postby irlmin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:53 pm

How old is the car ? We have come across a few that had a linkage fall off and not allow the lock to function ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby glassfish » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 am

Its a 03 Cooper S
glassfish
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:42 pm

I would think its the cable to the actuator is broken or has fallen off, or a faulty actuator , will the door open by using the key ? anyway it is a relatively common problem and may need a new lock / actuator or cable , are you anywhere near Cork ? if so we can just plug it in and the diagnostic gear will pinpoint which component is faulty , if it won't open with the key from the outside its a bit tricky to get the interior door casing off but its possible and we have done a few .if you want to have a go yourself let me know and I will sort some step by step instructions .and list tools required
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby cian_on_minis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 pm

hey dude, i gots the same problem with my cooper 04, but with my passenger side door ,iv just got used to it ,luckily its not the drivers door. i went about getting it fixed and they said it might be a lazy motor but were unsure. if u here anymore or go about getting it fixed let me know by who and how much if u dont mind please, pm if u prefer.thanks

G step by step instructions would be awesome id love to try n fix it myself. would love to learn how to do some things myself rather than always going to my mechanic.
cian_on_minis
Getting used to the place

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help