Go to footer

Power Steering Pump and BMW Customer Care

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Power Steering Pump and BMW Customer Care

Postby ianod » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi everyone,
As many of you have experience, my power steering pump went before christmas and confirmed by bmw diagnostics last monday. Have attempted a goodwill request with BMW customer care, but all I got was a rejection and told the car is outside their 'parameters' for financial support. Ok the mini is 2002 but in great condition, full BMW service history an 64K mileage...am I wasting my time?? or should I keep pushing? 900euro is alot to fork out for this time of year for something that they are aware of plus I've heard other mini's outside warranty getting 80% support.

So my question is does anyone know of another method of approach, or more senior level of customer care I could contact? as the current one just send out standard responses and denies it is an issue with minis!!

cheers
ianod
Just Joined!

Re: Power Steering Pump and BMW Customer Care

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Speaking as someone who worked as a Manager in the Dealer Network for the last 7 years, asking for goodwill outside warranty on an 8 year old car really won't work. If the car was maybe 4 years old, and outside warranty 15 months that'd be a push, but they might do it. 6 years outside warranty is pretty much not going to happen.

While the steering pump has failed on a few MINIs, it's nowhere near what the forums would lead you to believe. It's I think either a 2, or 3 percent failure rate. Remember, there's more than a million new MINIs on the road. That rate would need to be an awful lot higher for it to be a 'known problem with MINIs'. Most people on this forum haven't had an issue, with the exception of one, which was a 2002 car also. As it happens, because it happens to the minority of MINIs, rather than the majority, it's just a case of bad luck, rather than something MINI needs to recall all million for.

Your best bet is to contact irlmin on the site here. He's Ger, and Ger has a source for reconditioned (Better than new) pumps, which he can fit for a fraction of the 900 euro you were quoted.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby ianod » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:57 pm

cheers Owen, I'll contact irlmin and hope he can help me out. Thanks
ianod
Just Joined!

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 pm

No problem, hope it wasn't a harsh reply, but I think the outcome of going this way is much better. Ger and his brother Aiden only work on MINIs and Minis, and have been doing so since he had hair. They're the best in the business bar none.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby ianod » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:23 pm

not harsh at all, knew i was chancing my arm but worth a shot ;)
ianod
Just Joined!

Postby Dineikaite » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem with a 2005 mini one with 100k miles. does anyone know of anyone who can fix it closer to Drogheda, i believe Ger is based in Cork.
Thanks
Evelyn
Dineikaite
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Evelyn ,
Yes we are in Cork , if you feel like a trip down we can fit it while you wait , PM me if you want further info and price etc ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help