Go to footer

Cold start in the morning

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Cold start in the morning

Postby Jen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Anyone else here have problems with their MINI in the morning. I've noticed that if the temperature is less than -2.5C I can't get my car into gear. When the engine has been running for a good 10 mins or so it loosens out. Should I be worried?

Jen
Jen
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Cold start in the morning

Postby irlmin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:12 pm

We have had a few customers in with the same problem Jen , 2 possibilities , one is the gearbox oil is freezing and therefore viscosity is thicker than normal making gear changes difficult ,the 2nd possibility is the gear selection cables have had water ingress during the floods and are now freezing making changing difficult until they warm up , the exhaust manifold is close to the cables which will speed up thawing out and enabling gear selection when the car warms up . . those are the 2 things we have found on customer cars in the last week or so
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help