Go to footer

Alignment or tracking rod ???

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Alignment or tracking rod ???

Postby cian_on_minis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 pm

hey everyone :mad:
I had a little incident the other night on the ice ,,,,, I was coming into my estate and i was going around a 90 degree corner lost control and smashed into the kerb, only hitting my front passengers wheel luckily i suppose but it took all the weight and i was going about 7mph, trying to be precise, lol....
its a 04 cooper with 16 inch alloys,

then on driving it after the bump ,the car is pulling to the left when i let it coast and pulls very slightly to the right wen i accelerate. im wondering have i knocked the alignment out or have i broke the the tracking rod?
is there a way of telling if u broke the tracking rod? im fairly clueless......
any help or input much appreciated thanks :1icon_frown:
cian_on_minis
Getting used to the place

Re: Alignment or tracking rod ???

Postby irlmin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:18 pm

You most likely have bent something , possibly track rod end if the impact was light , check the wheel / tyre for damage if it took the impact , its easy to check the track rod end for damage as even with a visual inspection it should easy to see the 'bend' . have the alignment checked and adjusted when you are happy the track-rod end is replaced or not damaged , but I will say it again -- make sure you have your wheel / tyre checked properly as it might not be a problem now but if the sidewall is damaged / bulged it could let you down with a 'big bang' at any time .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help