Go to footer

hi all im new to the form here.

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

hi all im new to the form here.

Postby eoinmurphy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I have a 97 original sportpack 1.3mpi, ive had it 6 years its been sitting for nearly 3 now and ive started the rust repair and some nice little mods and have a few questions.

i need a new exhaust, one that will pass the nct preferably give me a bit more poke and sound nice.. plus sit a bit higher than the original one i have .. there is room to tuck it up higher who has any experience with that sort of thing.. also is there any issues with the ecu chip.

the ecu chip.. is that going to mess me up all over the place on doing any mods to the engine, as far as i can tell there is no tuning chip for it. what are my options with this engine.

has anyone run sportpack wheels with wood and pickett arches?.. will they work

i have a million more questions but these are the start.

cheers eoin.
eoinmurphy
Just Joined!

Re: hi all im new to the form here.

Postby irlmin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi an welcome to the site , the mpi engine is restricted as regards tuning by the ecu , it is ok up to about 90 bhp and is 'self learning' and will adapt up to that figure to any mods , after that you will need to go with programmable injection which is no problem but is expensive . we have done lots of tuning on the mpi and I would recommend a Maniflow LCB manifold and single box system, also retain the cat as it is not very restrictive , a decent modified head and a quick mod to the throttle body and you will have a nice mini , forget 1.5;1 rockers as they will only cause poor low down running and are only worth about 1 to 2 hp at 6000rpm . there are ecu 'icon's available to modify the fueling again FORGET these , they just don't work . there are a few people here with Our conversions and I am sure they will confirm what I have outlined above .WP arches won't cover SP wheels , have a look at 'group 5 'arches .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Bawnee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Eoin, welcome to the club! You've an ambitious project & I wish you well!! Siobhan
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: hi all im new to the form here.

Postby MiniMpi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Nice Mini :)
Best of luck with it.
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help