Go to footer

are my bearings going?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

are my bearings going?

Postby cian_on_minis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 pm

so its been over 3 weeks now and im still not driving my mini after hitting the kerb on ice (ref to my prev post on tracking rod, which was fine).

getting pretty pee'd off now at this stage tho...

i got four new tyres and the dude chipped all my alloys while he had them so they were sent off to be refurbed. since i got the new tyres there has been a loud humming noise as soon as i go over 50mph,im wondering is that my bearings? it seems to be coming from the front passengers side, thought it was because the wheel was buckled but thats on the back right now and no noise seems to come from it.

anyone any ideas,?
there is a buckle in my alloy but its suppose to be very very slight , i was talking to leo about it. who may i say had nothing but good things and praise about owen and ger. ;)
cian_on_minis
Getting used to the place

Re: are my bearings going?

Postby irlmin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Is the noise confined to one corner ? or do you think it may be all over , You will find that some tyres are noisier than others and it may be that what you are hearing is 'tyre noise' . what brand are the tyres you fitted ? of course it could be a wheel bearing and if its only one you will hear a change in 'tone' if you move the steering wheel left to right gently while moving . its also possible to hear a worn wheel bearing by jacking up the corner and spinning the wheel by hand and listening for the noise ,
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Owen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:46 am

Leo's fantastic, he won't see you wrong. Good to hear he's looking after you!
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby cian_on_minis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:50 pm

it seems to be coming from one area alright, would me hitting the kerb have caused damage to the bearings?
iv had it up on the ramp but couldnt hear anyting when spinning the wheel.its hella loud then tho on a smooth road.....
a set of nankangs were put on it.

yeah iv been to leo a couple of times, nice guy.
cian_on_minis
Getting used to the place

Postby ONED » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

I've seen decent potholes damage wheel bearings on cars before!
ONED
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help