Go to footer

Wanted: Aribox to suit first gen MINI Cooper

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Wanted: Aribox to suit first gen MINI Cooper

Postby langdang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi all,
Discovered that the clip on the left hand side of the airbox has snapped, so there is a gap on the wrong side of the filter - not good!
Has been ghetto fixed by clamping and duct taping, but looking for a proper fix.
So - if anyone has ditched their airbox in favour of an induction kit, I'd be interested in the old airbox?
Alternatively, if anyone knows of a genuinely good induction kit?
Obviously the cheapest way is to get an unwanted airbox or got to a scrappie, but if there are good reports of an induction kit I'd definitely consider it.

Cheers,
langdang
langdang
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: Wanted: Aribox to suit first gen MINI Cooper

Postby iwanagofast » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Depends what you want, preformance (ie Cooler air) a JCW , Dave f hybrid box or a m7 but a closed box is better at stopping heat soak which those 3 are........ or just a k and n filter upgrade on a standard box.

If you want noise then an alta. No induction kit is going to make a huge difference (if any!)

On a copper the filter is prob the best mod of the above
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby langdang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

I want to get rid of, or repair, the banjaxed airbox - the lower part is hanging down slightly from the top part! Had to bodge it with duct tape to stop unfiltered air getting drawn in.
So yeah, performance gains not important, would prefer not to lose any tho.
How much for an alta?

If there was more space in that engine bay (and if it was my car rather than her car...) I'd find some better way of clamping the box together...
langdang

Postby irlmin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Stick a few 'self tappers' in the filter housing to hold it together , the factory clips are notorious for breaking and it will be a good fix as its only every 10000 km you need to go in there .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby langdang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks, will do.
I'd say the neighbours do be wondering what i'm at sometimes, standing outside in sub zero temperatures duct taping bits of the car...
langdang

Postby irlmin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I would consider what you are doing 'Normal' its the people watching you I would worry about :1icon_smile: :blob9: :blob3: :blob5: :blob7: :blob6: :alien:
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby AdyP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Howdy fella
I would offer you my old box (ooh er) but I want to keep it in case I shift the car in future.

Here is an addition to War and Pieces I did on my Filter testing as I tried a few options out, feel free to give me a shout if you have questions:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=672

Cheers!
AdyP

Postby langdang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Cheers BlueZed, was hoping someone had a comparison of the some of the different options.
The basic K&N cone would be as much as I'd spend if I was to go that route - recession recession like.
langdang

Postby AdyP » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Well you'll definitely enjoy the sound it gives you mate, lovely. Doubt there would be much loss of power from the engine bay temperature unless it is a really hot day or the engine has been given a roasting :)

Pondering swapping back to a cone actually, miss the noise a bit...
AdyP

Postby langdang » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:10 pm

BlueZed wrote:Well you'll definitely enjoy the sound it gives you mate, lovely. Doubt there would be much loss of power from the engine bay temperature unless it is a really hot day or the engine has been given a roasting :)

Pondering swapping back to a cone actually, miss the noise a bit...

Hey Adrian,
Took your advice in the end and ordered a K&N 57i - it was due to arrive before MTI2010 but didn't unfortunately.
The noise is very very very nice! Much more aggressive but with the benefit of only being there when you want it..
Almost sounds too good, you find yourself giving extra throttle in any spots with high walls next to the road just to hear it bouncing back at you....
langdang

Postby AdyP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Good stuff! Enjoy your new growly Mini!
AdyP

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help