Go to footer

Windscreen Replacement

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Windscreen Replacement

Postby Bawnee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 am

Hi all, got the chipped windscreen replaced yesterday but it's not a MINI one is this ok? As in should I have insisted for a MINI one or does it matter? Thanks in advance.
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Windscreen Replacement

Postby Owen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:19 am

MINI don't make windscreens. They get them made by a company, and put their brand on them. You'll be fine.
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Re: Windscreen Replacement

Postby langdang » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 am

Check that the boys didn't make an arse of something, some cars are pretty easy to change, the mini has a few fiddly bits
(basing this on a 02 cooper, some stuff may not be applicable..)
Check
- the silver trim at the bottom of the screen
- The plastic A-pillar panels, check if obviously loose ( be gentle!), check if they've cracked anything where they screw on behind the rubber door/window seals. Check the plastic "gutters" at the top of the A-pillar -these can be a bit loose, but as long as they aren't too bad?
-Check the rubber seal around the top - is this lined up properly, is it obviously loose?( be gentle!)
- Take it for a quick spin, get up to 75-80 if you can and see if there is noticeable wind noise

Previous owner of Mir's mini had the screen replaced at some stage (by barely trained apes unfortunately), so soon after we picked it up:
Plastic A pillar trim blew off (this could just due to the way they are designed, windscreen washer etc will eventually work in under there and degrade the adhesive ???)
The rubber trim on top worked itself loose at one corner on the motorway and started whacking off the roof, very frightening sound to hear from a "new" car until you realise what it is!
Wind noise seemed excessive (like the fan is blowing air through screen vents even when fan is off) although this could be just imagination too!

All pretty much sorted now, but just let it be a lesson to anyone getting this done - go somewhere with a good reputation, and warn em to be careful of the A-pillar trim. Dunno if I'd let any old "man in a van" at it!
langdang
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Bawnee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks O- and I'm getting a pen & paper & taking notes re other info provided, thanks, very helpful!
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help