Go to footer

Chrome Nut Covers

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Chrome Nut Covers

Postby DozyHound » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I've got the litle metal chrome nut covers on my '99 Cooper. They're a complete pain in the ar$e! Getting the little feckers off has proved problematic to the point I had to cut them off!!! :banghead:

Does anybody know of a plastic alternative?

Thanks,

DH
DozyHound
Just Joined!

Re: Chrome Nut Covers

Postby irlmin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm

They are NOT supposed to be taken off !! , they are manufactured as part of the 'nut' assembly and designed to stay on when you remove the nut , However people use the wrong size / type of socket and wreck them , the best size is a 6 sided 18mm socket which will remove them without damage , we stock the correct nuts new .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby DozyHound » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 am

Oh ffs... :banghead:

I had read somewhere else about the covers & nuts being rounded and it was suggested to remove them. Well feck that.

Is it possible to get the covers separately or do you have to get nut/covers together?
DozyHound
Just Joined!

Postby MiniMpi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 pm

DozyHound wrote:Oh ffs... :banghead:

I had read somewhere else about the covers & nuts being rounded and it was suggested to remove them. Well feck that.

Is it possible to get the covers separately or do you have to get nut/covers together?

They come as one part ;)
Only can be bought that way.
11/16's is the correct size but very hard to find a socket for it so as Ger said use a six sided 18" socket in future ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help