Go to footer

Strut Braces for MINI's

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Strut Braces for MINI's

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 am

What one's have you fitted?
Do you find them good?
Post your thoughts and photos here on this subject ;)

I myself got a nice addition for 'Yorkie' yesterday :)
It's an OMP lower front brace. Pity it won't be seen though... :( lol
It is to tighten up the handling and at a later stage i'll be getting a GTT Top strut brace :)
Hope to get it fitted tomorrow or next Tuesday and will post photo's then.

Here is a photo of one fitted to a MINI:

Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Re: Strut Braces for MINI's

Postby Owen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

I've got the OMP upper brace - I found it made a slight difference in handling, but nothing dramatic. These things are probably suited to the track, and going 100mph through corners.

Nice work on the lower one though Ferg. Bet you were ideally suited to the task :D
Owen
Founding Member & Site Admin

Postby MiniMpi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Owen wrote:I've got the OMP upper brace - I found it made a slight difference in handling, but nothing dramatic. These things are probably suited to the track, and going 100mph through corners.

Nice work on the lower one though Ferg. Bet you were ideally suited to the task :D

The OMP upper brace isn't supposed to be as good as some others, M7 or GTT for example.
The lower OMP one however Is supposed to make a difference alright, even on it's own.

Hehe!! lol Well That's NOT my MINI in the photo!! :p

Not fitted it yet, hope to get it done tomorrow by a much taller person than myself when it is up on the ramp :)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby AdyP » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:57 am

JCW one on mine, not sure if it made a massive difference apart from giving me something else to polish on a regular basis! I think you need somethign like the GTT girders all round to stiffen things up properly, but I heard the OMP lower is worthwhile along with making sure your nuts are nice and tight :)
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby iwanagofast » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:52 pm

I've heard that too about the lower brace, the GTT is a good bit of kit but the m7 has a removeable centre section so you can still get at things and plates for the strut towers to prevent mushrooming. From what I've been told fitting the cabrio braces gives the biggist bang for your buck in terms of stiffening.
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast

Postby MiniMpi » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks guy's :)
The OMP seems to be the best for the lower front alright.
Yeah, i'll be fitting the GTT top brace eventually.
Fitted the brace today:

Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby AdyP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Took mine off for a couple of days while doing another job. Driving the car it felt a bit less well-tied down when changing direction, the sensation was that the tyres were moving slightly more before responding to the wheel and the steering was a little heavier.
Back on with the brace today and the car felt a bit less well-tied down when changing direction...hang on a minute! Seriously, I thought I felt a huge difference yesterday...but less so going back to braced up again. Could well be that it is colder today so tyre pressures are down, or the difference is so small that most people would not feel it.

Basically I don't bl00dy well know what difference it has made now, probably mostly in my own head (a confusing place at the best of times). :(
AdyP

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help