Go to footer

Petrol smell

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Petrol smell

Postby AdyP » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:32 am

Hi guys

I was driving back from the airport last night and got a distinct whiff of petrol from my Cooper's air vents when turned to warm, less so when cold air was coming in. It took me right back to owning the classic which ran on petrol vapours anyway!
I popped the bonnet but could not see anything obvious by torchlight, gonna have another look now it is light.
I have read of issues with R56 Cooper S fuel pump leaking, but not on the R50 so will have to take a wee look around for that, and try to trace the fuel lines.

Any suggestions...apart from no lit matches :)
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Petrol smell

Postby Bawnee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Hope you've solved the problem Adrian.... :)
Bawnee

Postby AdyP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 am

Hi Bawnee, well I didn't do anything in the end as there was nothing obvious. Since then the smell hasn't recurred so I don't know if there were fumes from the car sitting in the airport carpark and someone else was leaking or what. Have to keep an eye on it anyway.

Looking in the Haynes bible the fuel pump is installed in the petrol tank itself so that would have not been to blame for the smell anyway.
AdyP

Postby Bawnee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Well I'm glad you've not been fumagated by your own hand!
Bawnee

Postby irlmin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:11 am

I think that if the car was standing in the heat of an open car park for some time the vapour smell would be from the vent pipe and would possibly have found its way into the cabin , its the only explanation if you have no leak .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby AdyP » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:03 am

Hi Ger
Well the smell has not recurred since then, so perhaps you are right. Strange though as it was not parked up for that long.
AdyP

Postby AdyP » Tue May 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Well the smell was back with a vengeance at the weekend and this morning on the way to work, so I bit the bullet and dropped the car into my local dealer to check out. Expected split hoses and all sorts...

Turns out they said it was a simple enough thing. My spark plugs had all worked loose and so I guess fuel was seeping past them under load and hence the smell. Didn't notice any loss of power but will see how much better the car is tomorrow. Has to be better as I must have been losing a little compression as well.

Expensive lesson to check these in future, but at least they washed the car after its dirty weekend in Wicklow :)
AdyP

Postby MiniMpi » Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 pm

BlueZed wrote:Well the smell was back with a vengeance at the weekend and this morning on the way to work, so I bit the bullet and dropped the car into my local dealer to check out. Expected split hoses and all sorts...

Turns out they said it was a simple enough thing. My spark plugs had all worked loose and so I guess fuel was seeping past them under load and hence the smell. Didn't notice any loss of power but will see how much better the car is tomorrow. Has to be better as I must have been losing a little compression as well.

Expensive lesson to check these in future, but at least they washed the car after its dirty weekend in Wicklow :)

:1icon_eek: Lucky you found out Adrian as there are horror stories of stripped threads etc around!
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help