Go to footer

Rover mini cooper s clutch cyliners

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Rover mini cooper s clutch cyliners

Postby rayray » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi,

I recently bought myself a lovely 97 mini cooper (jap import) and have found that i can barely put her in gear anymore and that the clutch pedal has gone rather soft. I made some inquiries and it looks like the slave cylinder for the clutch hydraulics maybe gone.

I was wondering an i on the right track and also where is the slave cylinder located? Iv found the master cylinder ( kinda right at the back under the left screen wash nipple) but cant trace the pipes to the slave.

Also is this a big job? And can anyone give me any tips on doing it?

Thanx in advance
rayray
Just Joined!

Re: Rover mini cooper s clutch cyliners

Postby irlmin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Slave cyl is under the brake servo on the clutch housing , its mounted at about 45 degrees and is held on with 2 bolts , make sure it is the slave cyl is faulty before you go to replace it , you should check if the master cyl is full of fluid and then 'bleed' the air from the slave cyl by 'pumping ' up the pedal and while held down opening the bleed nipple on the slave cyl , its a bit tricky especially on Jap minis as there is very little room with aircon rad etc but you will get it with patience .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: Rover mini cooper s clutch cyliners

Postby rayray » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Nice one... Got sorted. I just bled her a bit, turns out there was air in the system. Shes running great now. :1icon_colors: Just wondering how the air got in the system in the first place.
rayray
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help