Go to footer

Did anyone come across this one????

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Did anyone come across this one????

Postby mordamoja » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi,
After hours of research I came across this website:

http://www.calverst.com/shopopen.htm

They claim to succeed in developing programmable ECU for SPI and MPI minis.
Did anyone have it installed? Is it worth it? What kind of work does it require after you purchase this one?

This is how they describe this product:

UMS ECU for Single Point Injection Minis, single loom plug
As tested in Mini Magazine, issue 154, December 2008 this ECU has been designed and developed by three very enterprising and capable German Mini fanatics. Named 'UMS' (Ultimate Mini Squirt) because it is fully owner/user programmable using the renowned Mega-Squirt software. The UMS allows you to get the very best from you SPi, and more importantly, allow you to modify your SPi engine to produce far more than the standard ECU limiting 81-83BHP at best. One thing that became obvious when testing this unit is that a large number of SPi cars are running on the 'default' program set in the ECU - the 'get you home' set-up. Consequently the engine is being over-fuelled all the time and the ignition advance is held back. this very seriously adversley affect power output and performance, let alone giving terrible fuel consumption figures. The UMS comes complete with weatherproof USB cable and a start up program installed based on the standard Rover porogram. You take it from there after downloading the Mega-Squirt software. It is a REAL direct replecement plug and ply ECU. You simply remove you existing ECU, drill the screw holes in teh mounting feet on the UMS, plug it in, mount it up and away you go. This uint is for the single loom plug type (NOTE - twin plug is pictured for the meantime).
mordamoja
Getting used to the place

Re: Did anyone come across this one????

Postby irlmin » Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Whereas we haven't used this one we have used some other programable ign / inj systems including Omex , Megaspark / Megasquirt etc , it should be a good product but until I try it I will reserve judgment , it will take the work out of fitting other systems being plug and play and Megasquirt software is pretty good ,I will do some more research , in fact we will be using Megasquirt for the 1st time on a supercharger conversion soon , so it will be good to see how good it is with forced induction .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help