Go to footer

plugs & wires

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

plugs & wires

Postby eas » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi all,

been a while since I've been around the site - it's looking much different (in a cool way)!

I'm going to be bringing my R50 in for a service - (I'll be using my local garage) and was wondering if it's worth bringing in some bits myself - like oil, plugs, wires...or anything else that may help the performance that the garage probably wouldn't stock?

Any recommendations?

thanks,

:)
eas
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Re: plugs & wires

Postby irlmin » Tue May 11, 2010 4:25 pm

I would use MINI original filters OR Knecht which are OE manufacturers , also insist they use fully synthetic oil 5w/30 . plugs if needed are again MINI original or NGK equivalent . make sure they check and replace the pollen filter under the dash as We get MINIs in every week that have never had this changed in years !!!!!! also make sure they run a diagnostic scan and check the plastic thermostat housing for leaks .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby iwanagofast » Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 pm

What ger said, the oem plugs and wires are great. You only need to upgrade your plugs on an r53 when you get a reduced pulley. An upgraded filter will help you car or save up for a jcw airbox
[img:321:240]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/iwanagofast/MINI%20and%20focus/100_0300-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
iwanagofast
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby langdang » Sat May 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Ya, very common for the cabin filter to be over looked by all accounts.
Just pulled one out there that the element was as black as the plastic that holds it ( they start off white!). In there since day one I'd say :1icon_eek:

If you're willing to try basic stuff yourself I'd do the engine air filter, the clips seem to be a bit flimsy and don't always survive a trip to the garage. The cabin air filter is handy too (just did it today in advance of spending 3 days in it on the MTI run :) )
langdang
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help