Go to footer

ABS & DSC lights have both come on?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

ABS & DSC lights have both come on?

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 am

The other day when I started up my mini, both the ABS and DSC lights were on at the same time and have been on since and for no apparent reason. A Google search tells me it could be a wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor? Is this right or does anyone else have any ideas? If it is a sensor, I'm guessing (hoping) this is something that can be fixed myself?

Any advice appreciated :)
Thanks
Alan
04 John Cooper Works
Alan
Getting used to the place

Re: ABS & DSC lights have both come on?

Postby irlmin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 am

It could be either of above , only problem is you will have to hook it up to the diagnostic computer to id which and 'clear' the fault codes after replacing the component , We can sort it as we have diagnostic gear for MINI , but We are in Cork .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 am

Is that a pricey procedure? I have NCT coming up and am guessing this should be sorted before then.
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Postby irlmin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 pm

I am afraid it depends on what is found to be at fault , but its usually something simple and sometimes just 'clearing ' the fault codes will do the trick . yes any ABS lights etc are now 'fail' items on the NCT , I would also check the front wishbone bushes as we have an increasing number of MINIs coming in for replacement bushes following NCT failure on these .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 am

Cool, thanks for the advice Ger, I appreciate it
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 pm

By the way... now not only are the ABS & DSC lights on, so is the handbrake light and also, the speedo needle isn't working and neither is the computer?

Could these be all related?
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Postby irlmin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 pm

It is probable that its caused by the same fault , did everything fail at the same time ? unfortunately its one that will require a plug in to a diagnostic computer , you could try to disconnect the battery for 10 mins and it MAY reset itself ---- worth a try , otherwise its down to diagnostics .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:11 pm

well the abs and dsc came on together first a few weeks ago, then recently everything else came on (or went off!) at the same time - speedo needle, the mileometer isnt clocking up, handbrake light, computer is blank - I get no average speed, average mileage etc.
Going to get a diagnostic run on it this afternoon
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Postby Bawnee » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 pm

That's a good plan, good luck with it!
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I was told the laptop couldn't 'see' the ABS section. It could see the rest of the car so he said it wasn't a wiring issue and he suspected it is a problem with the ABS control unit itself.

Does this sound reasonable? Any alarm bells ringing? Cost for replacement ABS control unit?

I'm not really technical so any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Postby irlmin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi alan ,
What did he use to diagnose the faults ? was it a BMW GT1 / OPPS or an aftermarket scanner ? some won't 'talk ' to all components , GT1 or OPPS will almost all the time . ABS units do fail and we have replaced a few over the years but I would investigate further before you splash out on an ABS unit , it should be possible to get a decent secondhand one should you need it .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby langdang » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 pm

I became quite friendly with the local mechanic with a laptop when the Airbag light was a regular fixture on Miriams dash.
He was using BrainBee software/hardware and it gave us a serious fright once when it wouldn't talk to the airbag module.
He tried talking to other modules and they were fine, but bit of patience and perseverance paid off - just had to turn everything (car and computer) off and try again.

Ger's suggestion of disconnecting the battery for 10-15 mins may help the comms problem too - there could be something in there that's gotten in a bit of a huff with the data bus, it might come to it's senses after a hard reset?
langdang
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm still on the hunt for that ABS control unit :) Traynor's have them for 75 quid which sounds ok to me but dont have one with serial numbers that match mine. However, they guy in Traynors said some units with different serial numbers MIGHT suit mine. SO, does anyone know anything about this?

The numbers off mine are 10096008723 and 6765288 so if anyone knows any other serial combos that would suit, I'd appreciate it (funny it says DSC on the box, not ABS... am I looking at the right box?)

(Its a '04 JCW if that makes any difference)

Many thanks,
Alan
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Postby irlmin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Its got to be the correct one for the spec of the car as DSC and ABS etc are controlled by the same unit and if you use a unit without DSC ------- well you know the consequences so make sure it matches . I have a good source for secondhand MINI parts in UK if you are in trouble and we have deliveries from him most weeks .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:09 am

That would be great Ger if you could ask them or even just give me the number and I will follow up.
Traynor's are quoting £75 delivered to Dublin which is decent so anything in or around that would be great.

Many thanks,
Alan
04 John Cooper Works
Alan

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help