Go to footer

ABS & DSC lights have both come on?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Re: ABS & DSC lights have both come on?

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:27 am

So I got a new abs control unit and had it installed recently which seemed to correct most of the problems... speedo now working, mileometer clocking up miles, computer working etc but still I have the ABS, DSC and runflat lights on. So obviously 2 seperate issues coincidentally happened at once?

Anyway yesterday morning I started the car and noticed some smoke from the new ABS control unit so I texted my mechanic and he said to disconnect it and bring it in to him tomorrow.

Eh, ok, so how do I do that? Anyone know? If you could let me know today Id appreciate it.

BTW I'm a bit pi**ed off that after buying the new unit (that he told me would fix everything and didn't) that now this has happened... His diagnostics can't talk to my car so he is bringin it to main dealer.

Many thanks,
Alan
04 John Cooper Works
Alan
Getting used to the place

Re: ABS & DSC lights have both come on?

Postby irlmin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:19 am

There are several things that could be causing your fault , I am worried about the smoke bit as there is nothing that should cause the smoke except a wiring overheat problem due to shorting , be very carefull and disconnect the battery if you are leaving the car idle , I would have the mechanic have the car trailered to his place and sort it for you as you are dealing with potential fire and also brake problems , did he use a new abs unit ?with the correct part number as there are several types ,( in fact I am having difficulty sourcing one from our usual secondhand MINI parts supplier for another customer due to shortages ) its probably the same fault causing the ASC/DSC problems , its really important that whoever works on MINIs has the correct diagnostic equipment as with many modern cars using can-bus wiring you just can't do a correct diagnosis by conventional methods , also many components have to be 'coded' to the specific MINI when fitted and for this you need Main Dealer level diagnostics / coding gear , we invested heavily and continue to do so in order to keep up with the latest protocols etc .be carefull of the main dealer as well as someone will have to pay for the time whether its you or the mechanic that obviously may have misdiagnosed the ABS unit , best of luck with the repair and question everything you are told and feel free to call me if I can help .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help