Go to footer

micra transplant

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

micra transplant

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 pm

hi all jus wondering if any1 in ireland has put a k11 nissan micra engine into a round nose mini . I have a 96 micra lying at home with a cg 10 engine. i was also told that the cg 13 engine in a micra has the same bore as a cg 10, just a different size stroke, Would i be able to make my cg 10 a cg 13 by changing the crank, conrods and cams? ?
Dan
Just Joined!

Re: micra transplant

Postby irlmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Best option would be do your development with the 1.0 unit ( as you already have it ) and if it works just buy a decent 1.3 unit and fit that , if you get into rebuilding Nissan or other Japanese engines you will really get into money and there are lots of s/h units around for reasonable money , The only question I would ask is WHY ? I have driven lots of engine swapped minis over the years and I have not found one that worked well , always something wrong ie weight distribution , driveshaft angles , cooling problems etc etc , I could understand people wanting to change units many years ago but since the introduction of the A+ 1.3 engines reliability of the mini unit has improved and a decent mini engine modified will be a much more balanced solution , I know many of the modern engine / box units ie Suzuki , Nissan etc etc will have the advantage of a 5 speed gearbox and 16 valves etc but I personally think the advantage is minimised by compromise . I have found a Mini with around 90/100 bhp is perhaps the best balanced and drivable option ,and still will pass NCT and is still insurable as its the original engine with mods rather than a swap .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 pm

you're right . i would rather keep the mini a mini but the 5 speed gearbox does sound tempting . another question: i have 2 minis ,a 1992 rover city and a 1982 austin . both are 998cc .The plan is to restore the 82 and use the 92 as a donor. I believe the 82 engine is not unleaded and has front drum brakes. would i be able to swap the front sub frame of the 92 with its unleaded engine and disk brakes and fit it to the 82?
PS does anyone have a driver's door for an 82 Austin mini???
Dan
Just Joined!

Postby irlmin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 pm

89 was the year the unleaded head became standard , front subframe will fit and yes you can use brakes etc from the 92 but you must use 12" wheels ( or expensive alloy 4 pot calipers etc etc .secondhand doors are very rare but We can reskin your own if necessary .
G
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 pm

were could i get good brakes 4 my 10"weels ? is it expensive 2 reskin a door?
Dan
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help