Go to footer

Winter Tyres

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Winter Tyres

Postby Bawnee » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Considering the spell of harsh weather! Should winter tyres be considered. Tried to get up a little driveway today & it was wheel spin all the way..... Not at all good. Gravel was added & I finally got grip & got away!
Bawnee
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Winter Tyres

Postby mgmclub » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi
We have fitted winter tires to my daughters Octavia and there is a big increase in grip in the snow, as I am working in Norway and all the cars are fitted with winter tires by law you find that drivers just get on with there day , was coming back from ariport and there was no drama at all with 6" of snow on the ground, I got my tyres to order Perelli winter tyre at around 85e each.you may have a delivery time now winter is here.
I am also going fo fit them to the mini for next year on a spare set of wheels if I still have the car, as was going to trade in but it seems 2010 MINI copper ds are not worth much after 11months its like putting 8k down the pan.
Cheers Mick
mgmclub
I'm becoming a MINI adict

Postby Bawnee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 am

Aw cheers Mick, will look into it I think! Just need four wheels/rims now & advice on non tun flats.Yes I flushed money down pan when trading to Clubman, almost same amount :( I'd feel a lot safer knowing I'd made efforts to make my life easier, of course being snowbound for 16 days didn't help!
Bawnee

Postby langdang » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Definitely thinking of it for Mir's Cooper, altho it might be a bit late to be trying to find them for this year.
Was thinking of going the route of having a spare set of steel wheels, but it might be as easy to pick up a second set of alloys.
We haven't had much snow round Limerick tho - just ice, dunno if there's anything except studded tyres that will work on ice....
langdang

Postby Bawnee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Mm got lots here and more to come. Group but on wheels maybe? Is there a discount anywhere, recessionary times. Hard to know what to do, tyres or chains? Won't mention the craters in the roads, some are in a right state!
Bawnee

Postby mgmclub » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Yes studded tires are the job but not on Irish roads or in the UK and you will get done for them!! but in the rest of Europe most places have them, and here in Norway in the cities you can only use winter tires and everyone just carry’s on in the snow but outside the cities you can use studded tires and fantastic they are, and for the very bad days you fit snow chains, I have used them in Scotland and here very slow driving max 30k with them fitted. have fun as the forcast is looking bad for the weekend and next week.
Cheers Mick
mgmclub

Postby langdang » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:41 am

Oh yeah, meant to say that studded tyres are not really for Ireland - if it's that icey I'd just stay off the roads unless you have a 4x4 you can crawl around in.... you'll have to get the countryman Siobhan! Or move south for the winter!
Apparently (based on general pubtalk but sounds reasonable) snow tyres and winter tyres are not necessarily the same thing - you can get winter tyres that are more like normal thread, but have a different rubber compound so they are grippier at low temp. Proper snow tyres are the same rubber as winter tyres but are chunkier yokes? Does that sound right Mick?
langdang

Postby Bawnee » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:13 pm

Cheers but im staying put in Sunny South east! Yes advice welcome on differences on tyres & should these be non runflats? Also a question should tyre pressure be increased in winter, have heard it's a good idea!
Bawnee

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help