Go to footer

Coolant leak

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Coolant leak

Postby AdyP » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Well I have been suffering with an intermittent coolant leak with my car for the last couple of months, and after a bit of dismantling and tracing I chose to replace the thermostat housing again. I say again because it was replaced a year or two ago under warranty.

Taking off the old one was simple enough after removing the battery box, intake and draining the system. Inspecting it didn't show any obvious damage or cracking to the housing, but it looks like fluid was leaking around one of the bolts, which was not as tightly done up as the other two.

I am only semi-hopeful that this has resolved the problem, as with no visible damage to the housing I think really the thermostat seal may now be the culprit. Unfortunately this was not to hand and I could not get a spare stat on a Saturday afternoon. Anyway it's all back together again and refilled so will see if all is well this week.

Fingers crossed.
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Coolant leak

Postby MiniMpi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Hope that sorted it Adrian ;)
Ferg
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Re: Coolant leak

Postby irlmin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

You can't buy the seal on its own Adrian , you must get the thermostat as well , anyway usual problem is warping of the plastic housing , if you found a loose bolt this may be the problem and worth checking out .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Postby AdyP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 am

Yes I know they come as a pair alright. Hoping I don' t have to take it all apart again to change that too, but I guess I'd be faster the second time!

Thanks Ferg, me too.

A
AdyP
I'm spending far too much time here

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help