Go to footer

Exhaust for mini one 2003

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Exhaust for mini one 2003

Postby Masterbiker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Hey all!

I am looking to get a stainless exhaust for my mini one (from the cat back) and wanted to know of anyone has had any experience with the "play mini" make that is on the UK Mini sport site? It does seem to be pretty cheap compared to other systems I have seen.

I'm not too bothered about power increases as I think you would only get about 3/4bhp more without replacing the whole exhaust system? (I will eventually also replace the manifold and add a sports cat then). I just really want a system I can put on and never have to replace.

Also where in Ballincollig can I find O'Learys garage? I can't seem to find it in google/golden pages. As I live in Cork City, I wouldn't mind going round and seeing what you guys have/can suggest.

Thanks,

Michael
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 am

Hi and Welcome Michael :)
As you rightly said it's when you change the manifold and the cat is when you release alot more bhp ;)
O'Leary's are in the Old Commercial Park in Ballincollig by Celtic Fuels.
You'll get Ger on 086-8663828
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Re: Exhaust for mini one 2003

Postby Masterbiker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Masterbiker

Postby AdyP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Michael

I fitted a PlayMini cat-back system to my Cooper about 3 years ago to replace the standard system. I have to say I think they are great exhausts. Really easy to fit (did it in my driveway), nicely made and not expensive at all for what you get.

I fitted the single-box system and it is not too loud despite only running one silencer. It does have a very nice growl when you are...how shall I put it...pressing on, but is very civilised day-to-day. It definitely frees up the car to rev better at the top end, and is much more interesting on the way there.

You can spend more one something like Milltek and they are of course really nice systems, but for such little power increase there is no need. I have zero regrets about it, and would have no inclination to change the exhaust for anything other than the PM, so if you are happy with it then go for it.

If you are along to a club event and want a run down the road to hear what mine sounds like first then that is always a good way to make decisions.

Cheers

Adrian
AdyP

Postby Masterbiker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for the review Adrian :) I'm going to go for the playmini one as soon as I have been paid! 11 days to go!
Masterbiker

Postby AdyP » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 pm

No problem at all mate. Mine is the slash-cut tip and it suits the back of the car reallly well. I preferred it to the standard tip, but either will sound and perform the same of course.

Fit and enjoy!

Adrian
AdyP

Postby Masterbiker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:39 pm

So, in the end I didn't go with the PlayMini one, Ger got me a Scorpion back box as he said they were better quality. It does sound great! It's about the same volume as the standard one, it just sounds a lot deeper, which is surprising since the tip is 4 inches in diameter... The induction kit makes more noise when you floor it than the exhaust.

Still not sure if I like the way the tip is so large. Its so frigging big you can actually see all the way into the back box without a torch, but I am sure it will grow on me as I do like the sound from it.
Masterbiker

Postby AdyP » Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 am

Good stuff Michael. I think the Scorpion stuff is mean to be good alright, was it more expensive in the end? Was it just a rear silencer which you bolt onto the cut-down original system? If so You would still have the original silencer mid-way which will reduce the noise, but it may be just that the silencer is very well baffled. It may well get louder with a bit of use ;)

See how you get along with it I guess, you may find you just like the slightly sportier sound without it needing to be all that loud.

Myself, I was disappointed when I heard the JCW system as it seemed to be too refined, and didn't seem to give the car that much character.

Anyway, you can show it off to us at the next event we get too. You going to Fermoy by any chance?

Adrian
AdyP

Postby MiniMpi » Sun May 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Nice one Michael :)
Any photo's??
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Postby Masterbiker » Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 pm

I keep forgetting to, when it is light outside >< I will try to remember tomorrow before I head to work.
Masterbiker

Postby Masterbiker » Sun May 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Or maybe getting a camera with a flash...
Masterbiker

Postby Masterbiker » Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm

I got a pic this morning. Strangely it doesn't look as big in the picture, as it does in real life.

Masterbiker

Postby Masterbiker » Mon May 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Next on my list, wider + lighter wheels.
Masterbiker

Postby AdyP » Mon May 02, 2011 5:09 pm

One more time Dougal...this cow is small, those are far away! ;)
AdyP

Postby irlmin » Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Looks good Michael , I am looking forward to hearing the sound as I missed you when you got it fitted and you had left the workshop when i got back .
G
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help