Go to footer

Sub install - MINI One

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

Sub install - MINI One

Postby Masterbiker » Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Hey all,

I made a custom fit sub, using a bit of fiberglass and some plywood. To fit in the middle of the car where the back seats would have been.

(the carpet tape is just temporary. I need to get some contact glue or something)

So my question is, how/where I should feed the live cable in through the firewall? I can see there is cabling from the ECU next the the battery that goes behind a plastic cover that is behind the ABS pump, but that looks like it would be a hell of a job to use that hole.

I can see there is a small bung under the passenger side panel (under metal panel that the the side indicator is on), but to reach that I would have to take that panel off. Which I am not sure how to do, or if its even possible without drilling out spot welds etc.

Any advice before I start taking the dash apart would be appreciated, in case there is some easy way I have missed.
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Re: Sub install - MINI One

Postby Masterbiker » Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I spent the best part of a couple of hours working out how, but I have managed to route the live cable!

I removed the glovebox, looked for where the main harness wires come through the firewall and shoved a strong bit of wire through the rubber grommet. Then I removed the plastic air vent from the panel between the windscreen and the bonnet, unscrewed the plastic panel underneath, where I think the air intake for the heating/vent system is, managed to grab the wire I had pushed through with some pliers. Wraped the wire round the cable and pulled it back through the rubber grommet.

Easy! (if the ABS pump, break lines, glove box and battery wasn't in the way and that there were only that narrow opening for the air vent :S )
Masterbiker
I'm spending far too much time here

Postby MiniMpi » Wed May 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Well done Michael!!! :)
Nice to see someone getting their hands dirty and trying something different.
Your MINI has changed a lot since you have it and I can't wait to see the items we talked about on it :)
MiniMpi
Membership Secretary

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help