Go to footer

2002 MINI Cooper Engine "Missing" Issue.. Repair Locations?

All your technical, mechanical, electrical, exterior, interior, I.C.E. and even baby seat questions go in here. We've a lot of Mini gurus on the forum who'll be glad to help out with whatever technical probllems your Mini is having, or if you'd like to upgrade/modify yours we'll try to help too.

Moderator: MiniMpi

2002 MINI Cooper Engine "Missing" Issue.. Repair Locations?

Postby random_banter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Hello all,

I cam across this forum throughout my searches and trying to decide what to do about my MINI.

Firstly, I was hoping for some advice on what could be wrong with my car (I know its difficult to tell without someone looking at it!)

Secondly, I was hoping if you could recommend a place to get repairs done in Dublin.. I don't want to go to a big MINI dealer as I've heard they are a rip off and there's no way I can afford them. I can't find anywhere independent that is recommended, although I have read a lot about Ger all the way down in Ballincollig and very tempted to give him a call!

I own a 2002 MINI Cooper and in the last year or so it has developed some sluggish tendencies when starting off, accelerating etc.. it kind of "misses" and chugs.. almost like the engine is coughing? It is not very nippy at all, and the "chugging" happens most of the time either starting off, accelerating, coming on to the motorway, overtaking, etc. Sometimes also just on the flat - I don't have to have the foot down or anything. It feels quite underpowered, like I am struggling to drag a bus around under me! The fuel economy is also quite bad (IMO) on the motorway on a quick 5-10 minute hop at 70mph I can see the indicator drop! If I can get a good fuel test I will post my results.

Another potential issue is the power steering - since I bought the car 2 years ago it has always been very loud and whiny, but I've read here and other places that this can be a sign the steering is about to go? Any advice on this?

Anyway, any tips or advice anyone has I would really appreciate. Thanks :)
random_banter
Just Joined!

Re: 2002 MINI Cooper Engine "Missing" Issue.. Repair Locations?

Postby irlmin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi ,
Your problem could be caused by one of many issues , some related to 'service' items ie incorrect spark plugs , poor leads etc etc , it could also be related to a faulty sensor which may be giving incorrect readings to your ECU and hence poor fuel figures , I would recommend a thorough diagnostic session and a service and then at least you will have a starting point . the diagnostics should 'find' any faulty components and its straightforward to rectify then . as regards the power steering all 01 to 07 MINIs have a electro/hydraulic power steering system that emits a distinctive 'whine' when in operation and this is normal , BUT if the noise gets noticeably louder it can be a sign of impending failure , more often you will find the steering becoming very 'heavy' and this may be occasional at first and eventually it will become permanent , We supply and fit new power steering pumps with a 2 year guarantee for € 600 ( with a discount for MINIclub of Ireland members ) and have supplied customers all over Ireland . feel free to pm or call me ( 086 8663828 ) to discuss if I can help I am happy to do so
Gerard
irlmin
MCOI Founding Member

Re: 2002 MINI Cooper Engine "Missing" Issue.. Repair Locations?

Postby random_banter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks Ger, PM sent :)
random_banter
Just Joined!

Return to Board index

Return to Technical Questions and General Mini Help